PSR Under Mirror Light Bracket

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I encountered a motorcycle with yellow driving lights a while back during the daylight hours, and was impressed with how conspicuous he was with his yellow lights. I decided I wanted some for my ST.

After considering various mounting options, I decided to go with the PSR under-mirror brackets.

They installed easily. The only thing I had to do was cut off a small portion of the mirror cover.

The pictures tell the story (click to enlarge). I'll report back here in the future on how the brackets are holding up.

PXL_20210712_223438380.jpg PXL_20210712_223916111.jpg

PXL_20210712_224836775.jpg PXL_20210716_201113699.jpg

PXL_20210716_201018958.jpg PXL_20210716_201051401.MP.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Very nice job. Which LED lights are those?
When I was researching lights, I headed over to advrider.com, as I sometimes do because of the sheer volume of posts that site gets.

Boy oh boy, some of those guys are spending mucho dinero on their lights. I didn't know it was possible to spend over $1000 on a pair of led driving lights.

So I went the cheap route and got these:

They seem to be solid lights and are bright. But they are not 100 watts as advertised (meaning they are not drawing 100 watts of power).

We'll see how long they last. If they fail I'm only out $34 and can get something else.

Jeff

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice.
On the civilian STs, as opposed to PA-spec ones, I much prefer under-mirror rather than on top of the mirror. Police bikes look "normal" with gadgets and stuff hanging off them everywhere. :D
But then clearance becomes an issue if you are not careful, as regards removing the cowls.
It looks that is not a problem with your current setup.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That’s a pretty good deal. I know what you mean about Advrider, so many great threads there but once you go into a ride report or rabbit hole you are done! I sometimes wish I didn’t find that site, I’ve bought too much in the flea market, but I’ve learned a lot too.
I have under the mirror LEDs as well but they are white and I’ve had them for many years. I do like the yellow hue on your lights.
How do you control them?

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
[...]
How do you control them?
I wired up a harness with a relay and this switch:

The toggle is big enough so that switching it with your gloves on isn't a problem.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I wired up a harness with a relay and this switch:

The toggle is big enough so that switching it with your gloves on isn't a problem.
I figured you would make your own wiring harness with a relay but wasn’t sure if you had a police switch on the right handle bar (that’s how I set mine up). That switch looks good. Looking forward to seeing how you like them at night.

Reactions: jrp
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Nice.
On the civilian STs, as opposed to PA-spec ones, I much prefer under-mirror rather than on top of the mirror. Police bikes look "normal" with gadgets and stuff hanging off them everywhere. :D
But then clearance becomes an issue if you are not careful, as regards removing the cowls.
It looks that is not a problem with your current setup.
I was wondering about that also, but it isn’t an issue, as you say. The cover fits flush, just like it should.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I encountered a motorcycle with yellow driving lights a while back during the daylight hours, and was impressed with how conspicuous he was with his yellow lights.
+1 100%. Every so often I see a car or bike with yellow (not amber) lights and they are very conspicuous and very easy to pick out of a sea of lights. Years ago on a former car I had a pair of 7" Cibie fog lights in yellow on the car. I really liked the look.

I've been looking for yellow (not amber) position light bulbs to put a touch of color on the front of the bike and maybe some See-Me lights like yours.

Lights that command a high price tag generally (or theoretically) have quality electrics and a decent lens/reflector combo to control the beam pattern. Too often people confuse a light with a purpose. Most often that seems to mean high output offroad lights for street use.

Lighting manufactures can be very generous with their specs be it watts or lumens. Those lights have a lot of seemingly conflicting features though the 100W rating is probably meant to be 100W incandescent equiv. They probably still need a lot of discerning use when approaching other vehicles.

They look great especially with all the clear lenses on your 1100. Well done.

OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
[...]
They probably still need a lot of discerning use when approaching other vehicles.
[...]
Agree. I had a buddy of mine over for dinner tonight and he agreed to assist me in getting the aiming just right. The plan is to have him sit in his car on an empty road or parking lot while I drive toward him in the other lane. The goal is to have it bright enough to get noticed but not so bright as to blind the driver. The scenario I'm most concerned about is someone making a left turn in front of me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Went on a 150+ mile ride today with top speed of ~125mph. The brackets and the lights didn't move from their positions.

The brackets are ABS plastic and although they are pretty thick and sturdy, they do have a little bit of flex to them that I imagine you wouldn't have in a metal equivalent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrp

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
Hi Jeff,
Have you looked at the Skene Design IQ-170 as a controller for your new lights and switch?
http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/IQ_175.shtml
There is a newer model than the one I have. It has some nice features to make you more visible.
That is an interesting product; thanks for the link. I think that I need to ride with the lights for a while and get some experience/feedback on them before deciding if I need something like the Skene controller. I'm interested in hearing from others who decided to use this product and why. The intention of the lights I installed are for daytime use only. Once I get them dialed in with respect to aiming, I would imagine there wouldn't be a need for something like the Skene controller. But others obviously think differently.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That is an interesting product; thanks for the link. I think that I need to ride with the lights for a while and get some experience/feedback on them before deciding if I need something like the Skene controller. I'm interested in hearing from others who decided to use this product and why. The intention of the lights I installed are for daytime use only. Once I get them dialed in with respect to aiming, I would imagine there wouldn't be a need for something like the Skene controller. But others obviously think differently.
I've had mine (Skene controller) for many many years (a Flea Market purchase from AdvRider :biggrin:). I have it set up for 60% power when switch is OFF and 100% when switch is ON. The cool feature is when you flick the high beam a few times, there is flashing strobe that happens with the aux lights. I used to do this when coming up to a busy intersection for that rogue left turner. Gets attention quick.
When I am riding in the daytime, I use the 100% mode. When I used to do some dark (night) riding (my night vision is not very good), I use the 60% when in traffic, so not to bother drivers. I also have the aux lights with both pointed to the right and down and the right one more into the ditch. Before I had them aimed, I used to a few flashes from irritated drivers in the daytime, so I knew I had to adjust further. Now I've ridden with 100% power at night, with no flashes from oncoming traffic. I am thinking of getting a pair of lights to put on the forks or brake calipers next.

Last edited:
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
The cool feature is when you flick the high beam a few times, there is flashing strobe that happens with the aux lights.
Any chance of a video of that? Asking for a friend, ahem...

Unrelated, special note for @Kaiser Swaghelm II - steady yellow light at the front of a vehicle is illegal under C&U regs here in the UK. Yes, I know you thought about it, but it's not worth the ticket. :spank1:

Top Bottom