Pure Speculation...what about a Trophy 800?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Triumph appears ready to release a Trophy 1200 next year based on the same platform as the Explorer 1200. So, if a sport tourer can share mechanicals with an adventurer tourer, why not a Trophy 800 that shares mechanicals with the Tiger 800?

Everyone who wants to pile on about chain drive, help yourself. Chains are light and simple, and perhaps Triumph would use a drive belt instead, a la BMW F800ST.

I have no idea whether such a bike in in the works or has even been considered by the folks at Triumph, I'm just saying I would be interested in such a machine.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I think it really depends on what direction they take with the 1050 Triple. If they update that engine, staying in the same size category, then you'll see the Sprint ST/GT continue using it. If they decide to move away from that engine, then a 800 based sport tourer really aimed at the solo rider would make sense. Round out the platform with a near-naked commuter bike. I know my next motorcycle is 99% likely to have a Triumph triple in it...

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Sounds interesting. I have reard speculation on the Triumph forums of a Tiger 800R version. More racy version of the Tiger. There is also speculation of using the engine in some sort of sportbike.

Isn't the internet fun?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Everyone who wants to pile on about chain drive, help yourself. Chains are light and simple, and perhaps Triumph would use a drive belt instead, a la BMW F800ST.
And cheap. The chain is one of the things I wasn't digging when I got the Tiger. It has been the biggest non issue you could ever imagine. Has only needed adjusting once or twice in almost 8k miles. I say once or twice because I did it once right after I got it to get it where I thought it should be then once more I think. I spray lube on it occasionally too. Easy. Plug for Bel Ray Super Clean lube.

Another benefit. I'm awaiting a sprocket for a gear changed right now. Gotta play! $18.50 including shipping. :headbang:

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
What's your $.02 on the Tiger?
I like the Tiger better than any bike I have ever ridden. It's one of those bikes that you can get on the first time and feel like you have been riding it forever. It's just a fun bike to ride. I bought it to compliment my ST1300 then never rode the ST so I sold it.

While it's not slow, I do miss the grunt of the ST. There are already people modifying them (header, 675 cam, etc.). The computer is custom "tunable" and a Power Commander is available.
I love the lighter weight. I think the weight might turn me off of the Explorer.

Lacks the weather protection of the ST. Not really a biggie.

Wife and I are more comfortable on it.

Believe it or not it is beautiful on the slab. However the engine winds pretty good and I'm going to make it worse when I get the new sprocket. It hasn't complained yet though. 5800ish at 80.

I feel that first gear is too high and sixth is too low. Other than that the transmission is sweeeeet. Sportbike like slick shifting close ratio.

I am one who is bothered by heat. It does throw some heat, but not as much as the ST.

While there is room for improvements I Love it.

If you haven't ridden one and get a chance do so. YMMV

Bike
2003 ST1300
Triumph appears ready to release a Trophy 1200 next year based on the same platform as the Explorer 1200. So, if a sport tourer can share mechanicals with an adventurer tourer, why not a Trophy 800 that shares mechanicals with the Tiger 800?

I have no idea whether such a bike in in the works or has even been considered by the folks at Triumph, I'm just saying I would be interested in such a machine.

I have a friend who has completed a 60 day moto adventure from Arizona to Buenos Aries. The roads are so bad, so very bad, and bridges so terrible, his opinion of TRUE adventure bikes has come down to this equation: weight and springs. An adventure poseur will be destroyed, just as many BMW 800s have been broken along his route.The 650s didn't do much better. A Super Tenere would never make it in the slick muck they call roads. (He rode a KLR 650). He thinks the Honda 650XR would be the only bike he'd ever take if he did the route again--which he won't. After reading his daily blogs, I glad I live in the USA where the ST1300 is at peace with most paved roads.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
What is your opinion of the build quality? How does your local Triumph dealer treat you?
This bike and the new Trophy have me looking 'hard' at the Triumph line.
I think the build quality is on par with the Japanese bikes. I have not seen anything that raises any red flags. The bike was a new model and had a few quirks. One was stalling, but I knew about that before I bought it and gave Triumph the benefit of the doubt that they would get it figured out. They did in a couple months. New computer map cured that.

The center stand has a few little problems. The spring and the stopper. They are supposedly coming out with a updated stand in June. I have had no problems with my stand but some people are nit picking it to death.

My dealer has been fine. It did take me a couple months to get the best price I could. The recall work (computer update and stand spring) was handled while I waited. A matter of minutes.

I was a little apprehensive to rev the thing when I first got it thinking it's not a Japanese bike. But after reading the Triumph forums and realizing that people run them just as hard as any other bike I started running the fool out of it. Redlines about 9800 and rev limiter kicks in a little over 10k. Realize that my previous experience with British engineering has been with old MGs and Lucas electrics.

It is one fun bike to ride and the triple sound is intoxicating. Smooth too. Even has some whine like the ST. :D

One thing that bugs me a little is the clang in the exhaust while engine braking. I understand that the Arrow exhaust fuel map does away with that butalso decreases fuel mileage.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have a friend who has completed a 60 day moto adventure from Arizona to Buenos Aries. The roads are so bad, so very bad, and bridges so terrible, his opinion of TRUE adventure bikes has come down to this equation: weight and springs. An adventure poseur will be destroyed, just as many BMW 800s have been broken along his route.The 650s didn't do much better. A Super Tenere would never make it in the slick muck they call roads. (He rode a KLR 650). He thinks the Honda 650XR would be the only bike he'd ever take if he did the route again--which he won't. After reading his daily blogs, I glad I live in the USA where the ST1300 is at peace with most paved roads.
I don't think you can compare a KLR or XR to the GS, Tenere or Tiger. The XR and KLR are dirt, enduro, dual sport single cylinder off road bikes with lights. I would never try to convince anyone that the "adventure bikes" would out do an off road bike off road.

The KLR and XR are off road bikes that are street legal. I believe they are classified as dual sports not adventure.
The Adventure bikes are on road bikes that can venture off road.

I bet the adventure bikes listed above will keep up with the ST on road better than the ST will keep up with them off road. :)

Bike
2003 ST1300
My South America adventure friend can ride an adventure bike like an off-road, but he is a special breed. To me, an adventure bike is any bike you purposely take off paved road. To others, that is too tame. So in the adventure spectrum, there are different ways to look at the problem. BTW, in Canada last year, I rode the ST1300 laden with gear over Pine Pass near Chetwynd. The road was completely torn up, and in its place 4 miles of gravel and wet mud. Somehow managed to keep the ST upright; the last mile was in 1 inch of pea gravel. That was an adventure.

fundyrider

Go Your Own Way
Bike
Trophy 1200
STOC #
800 Trophy? Never considered it before but makes sense. North America is fixated on large displacement motorcycles, not so much in other parts of the world. Cycle Canada magazine has challenged this mindset by doing reviews on a few small displacement bikes. I had a chance to ride an F800ST and although you could definitely feel the difference in power compared to the ST1300 it still had plenty of grunt. What I did notice was how light and nimble it was at parking lot speed. If I rode 2 up loaded with luggage then the extra HP might be nice but most of the time I ride alone.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If I rode 2 up loaded with luggage then the extra HP might be nice but most of the time I ride alone.
Exactly -- light, nimble, plenty of grunt, especially when transporting a bean pole like me.

Skunk: :attentio:

Do NOT, repeat, do NOT "break" your engine, or you will be VERY upset! :D
Use the engine "brake" only!
I'm reading the Rider review of the new Trophy SE as we speak.

El Gato Loco (es muy loco) :rofl1:

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Skunk: :attentio:

Do NOT, repeat, do NOT "break" your engine, or you will be VERY upset! :D
Use the engine "brake" only!
I'm reading the Rider review of the new Trophy SE as we speak.

El Gato Loco (es muy loco) :rofl1:
Doh, one of my pet peeves. I fixed it, thanks.

Well at least I don't have "duel" exhausts to worry about.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
It was such a great read I went on the Triumph website and signed up for a test ride in the Spring Got my reservation confirmation the other day. Come on April!
I too signed up for a test ride it is a good looking bike. And the ST is getting old not that I am unhappy with it but it is getting old. And Honda is dragging their feet with an update or replacement.

SKUNK:

I have "duel" exhausts??? I thought I put Staintunes on! Dagnabit!!! :eek:

M&M:

April Test Ride? According to my nephew in Canmore who is a heavy duty Diesel mechanic, (currently working on those Terex trucks in the AB Oil Sands in Ft. Mac & making an OBSCENE amount of money for it! 2 weeks on 2 weeks off) winter lasts 8 months there. Better make sure the bike has tire chains!!! :D

Top Bottom