Purpose of hanger pin stopper

What is the purpose of part 45111-MAJ-G41 is a little ring on the end of the brake pad hanger pin (part 9 in the attached photo)? Is that just a failsafe to keep the pin from completely dropping out? Two of mine are completely wornout/missing and I'm tempted just to leave them out. (maybe I should have DM Igofar instead of posting this question?)

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm often wrong, but it is to help keep the pin in proper alignment so the brake pads don't get cockeyed.
I'll be able to see it better when I'm on a PC and not this little phone screen...

OP
OP
Andy D
wondering if I could leave it out, or just substitute a little O-ring. $3.40/each on-line...I suppose I should just pay (what a cheapskate this guy is!!!)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The purpose is to center the pin in the far end of the caliper and dampen vibrations from the pads. It's technically not strictly necessary but it's there for a good reason.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Being that the pin is just threaded on the one end the remaining pin is cantilevered out from the threaded portion. Because of this the pin can act like a tuning fork when subjected to vibration from the brake pads as they operate. The rubber ads support to the end of the pin and dampens vibration and noise as well as reduces wear from the pads as they eat(wear) into the pins

OP
OP
Andy D
I put little O-rings on the front brakes, thinking I understood what I was doing...but (the cheapskate pays the most) I just ordered three new ones along with the rear brake parts.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
What is the purpose of part 45111-MAJ-G41 is a little ring on the end of the brake pad hanger pin (part 9 in the attached photo)? Is that just a failsafe to keep the pin from completely dropping out? Two of mine are completely wornout/missing and I'm tempted just to leave them out. (maybe I should have DM Igofar instead of posting this question?)
If you DM Igofar, then you'll know. If you post it here, then we'll all know.

OP
OP
Andy D
It's the engineer in me, I just want to know what something does...but then, there are wonders in the vast universe which are unknowable!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And easy way to install the correct o-rings…
Take a piece of cardboard, lay the o-ring on it, then push the pin directly down on it.
The cardboard will give enough to make an indentation to hole it in place and will allow the pin to push through it, slipping into place correctly.
And yes, the NEED to be on the pins.
Now go sit in the corner.

Top Bottom