Question about battery problem

Bike
st1300 A8
Hi,
I wanted to pick your brains. I have a st1300 fitted with a datatool alarm system, which continually drains the battery. My garage is not near the house so I can't just plug it into a charger. It means taking the battery off everytime to recharge it.

I was thinking (not easy) to buy a car battery with a fairly large capacity, leave my battery on the bike and every time I park up the bike to connect it to the car battery, like a trickle charge if you like, so the bike battery in the bike stays charged.

What do you think. Would it do the bike any harm? Good idea or stupied. Any comments welcome.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Maplin sell solar powered battery chargers.

As long as you can expose the solar cells to daylight, preferably externally to the garage, it will trickle charge your battery.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=solar battery charger&source=15
This might be a good option. Any charger with a 2 amp charge will keep the battery up.

Buy if you take the battery out then the alarm system won't work or do you not need it an home.

IF this is true maybe you could install a hidden toggle to turn the alarm on or off when needed.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I was thinking (not easy) to buy a car battery with a fairly large capacity, leave my battery on the bike and every time I park up the bike to connect it to the car battery, like a trickle charge if you like, so the bike battery in the bike stays charged.
That's going to end in disaster, so I'll just say "don't."

Solar's a good option, although I doubt you're going to find anything that has the smarts of a Battery Tender.

Here's an idea: If your alarm doesn't draw a whole lot of current, install a switched coaxial jack in line with its power lead and use a large battery as an external power source. When the external battery is plugged in, the switch in the jack will disconnect the alarm from the bike, preventing its battery from going flat, and power it from the cable. When the plug is removed, the switch reconnects the alarm to the bike's battery and you're powered by that. The only down side I can think of is that if someone cuts the cable, you have no alarm. (Although if I were stealing your bike and saw something plugged into it, I'd be more inclined to just yank it out of the jack.) And, of course, being in England, you'd have to find a way to make it weatherproof.

--Mark

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Hi,
I wanted to pick your brains. I have a st1300 fitted with a datatool alarm system, which continually drains the battery. My garage is not near the house so I can't just plug it into a charger. It means taking the battery off everytime to recharge it.

What do you think. Would it do the bike any harm? Good idea or stupied. Any comments welcome.
I think that'd be a good idea.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
You should be able to find something like this linky to use when you park in in a secure location for an extended time. You just need to find the one that will fit in the space you have.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'd go with blrfl options.
The parallel car battery route isn't gonna fly.

Course yah really need to run a power line to the garage for powertools!:D

If you need an alarm to keep them from stealing your bike, what makes you think they won't steal your battery?

mercedesman

The car battery uses different technology than the Yuasa AGM battery. AGM's have a natural voltage higher than the car battery lead/acid technology so what will happen is the AGM battery will try to charge the car battery - exactly what you are trying to avoid!

Mike

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I think I would look into the solar power trickle charger, as has been mentioned, sounds Ideal for your situation, and the clock on the bike draws power any how so you need some sort of a trickle charger in any case , and do keep your alarm activated for peace of mind IMHO !

:slv13: MIKE

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
+1 on the solar charger...
Put a meter on the battery (in series of course) to measure the current draw when the bike is sitting with the alarm on.

It will prob not be that much. I would prob guess about 200-300ma max.
Now you can buy a small solar power charger (*** make sure it has a regulator as the output can run up to 21v in full sun without) to match your needs.

It may not be cheap, $30-50 , unless you home brew the setup yrself, but it will protect yr bike and battery.
BTW, solar rated items generally put out less than half or so of their rated output so buy accordingly.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
This brings up a question. Does anyone know what fuse would stop the clock from drawing power?

In think you should move to a place where alarming your bike is not necessary. Or, chain it up. In the USA, stealing a bike is a good way to get shot. I've spent enough time in the UK to know what you're up against.

Top Bottom