Question about crash bars on rear

Bike
ST 1300
I just installed a set of the Honda Goldwing crash bars. Had no issue with installing them. However, I had a question. It appears the left side is tighter against the saddlebag than the right side. The instruction that came with the bars noted that would be the case. My question is why? Both sides seem the same, although I did not go to the trouble of taking a measurement. Perhaps someone out there could enlighten me. Thanks!

Bike
2010 ST1300
This could mean the wind resistance will be different on the two sides of the bike, causing you to drive in a circle. Which is actually a good thing, since the earth is round (works if its flat, too like a pizza).:rofl1:

OP
OP
Dr who
Bike
ST 1300
Was this install done with the aluminum adaptor blocks produced by Red Dirt ?? btw,, I have that setup,,, and the left side is a bit tighter on mine too,,, CAt'
Was this install done with the aluminum adaptor blocks produced by Red Dirt ?? btw,, I have that setup,,, and the left side is a bit tighter on mine too,,, CAt'
Yes, not a problem, just wonder what the difference between sides.

OP
OP
Dr who
Bike
ST 1300
its probably to offset the throttle side
Not sure I see why throttle would have anything to do with it. My guess is that the mounting block was cut the same for both sides and the right side frame screws are not the same on both sides. So I guess I do not understand what the frame bolts would be slightly different from one side to the other.

Attachments

Bike
ST1300A8
I still have a set of crash bars from Bike-Quick lying around here.
Shipping from Germany would be too expensive.
I have bought better crash bars than these. The English bars are made of 26mm steel tube, hollow inside and painted black or silver. These are more likely to bend in a crash than my other set.
It is also made of steel, but it is solid and only 17mm in diameter. Your pillion has more space for the legs and the bars are plastic-coated.
My ST has also been lying on its side, no damage and the bars haven't warped a millimeter.
These bars are made in Belgium by the user Marc-Pan. You can find him in the European forum from st.1100-1300eu.

greetings holm from germany

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Solid 17mm bar will not be as stiff or rigid as 26mm hollow bars (of similar mass or amount of material). Skin/surface of tubes, solid or hollow, takes vast majority of load. Rigidity/stiffness of tubes goes up by 4th-power of diameter. So 26mm hollow tube will be +400% stiffer than solid 17mm round bar.

Test it yourself. Clamp 40cm hollow 26mm steel tube (bicycle tubing?) in vise vertically. Slide long floor-jack handle over it and bend. Now do same with 17mm solid steel bar of same length and you’ll find it bends much easier with same force.

This Area Moment of Inertia property is why steel tubular moto frames steadily increased in diameter over the decades (while decreasing wall-thickness). Makes for stiffer and lighter frames.

Also why wheel-axles evolved from heavy thin solid bars to much stiffer and lighter hollow tubes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom