Question for Breakaway users on ST1300

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I'm considering the breakaway for my 07 with stock grips. I saw the unit mounted on a Valkyrie with Kuryakin ISO grips and was totally impressed. Their web site shows the model 6CB03-02 as being compatible with the ST1300. Reading the installation instructions, it appears that the unit mounts on the bar end side of the grip flange which reduces the length of the usable stock grip. My concern is that the 5/8" width of the 6CB03-02 breakaway (this is the width that they gave me) will shorten the usable length of the stock grip too much, making it uncomfortable. What has been your experience for those of you that use this throttle lock with the stock grips? Is there another longer grip option that works with the breakaway that eliminates this possible issue?

Thanks,
Brad

Hey Bradf, I have been looking at the breakaway also and had the exact same question. There is just enough wriggle room on the stock grips for my paws. I just hate to give it up. I am thinking maybe the Throttlemeister will work for me.
still thinking........................... I think I burned to many brain cells last night.
Bigfish:confused:

bradf,
With my winter gloves on, my pinky finger is off the grip and resting on the bar end. With my mesh gloves, my hand is fully on the grip.
I hope this helps...

With thicker gloves, the shorter usable throttle grip space is a little more noticeable, but with my normal gloves, it's not a problem. I love this thing. Probably no more or less effective at maintaining speed than a Throttlemeister or others, but the safety factor in being able to disengage it with a flick of the brake handle is fantastic.

For someone like me (i.e., not technically savvy enough to install the electronic cc's), the Brakeaway is the best option I found and it's performed flawlessly.

Have you thought about the Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control for about half the cost of the Breakaway? You are then not limited to any grips you want to run.

I've been using the Breakaway for about 2 yrs on my VTX. The Breakaway is a great product, very good quality, and hard to beat the safety feature, but there's a couple of things I dont particularly care about it:
- The alum tends to expand and contract with temp changes enough that the degree it "locks" the throttle changes significantly as the temp changes.
- Getting it fine tuned can be a biotch!! It's like a swiss watch, when you have everything lined up and adjusted just right, it work great. Get things out of alignment, and it doesnt work so well.

Have you thought about the Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control for about half the cost of the Breakaway? You are then not limited to any grips you want to run.

Hi Byron, I did look into the audiovox. A simple throttle lock is all I have ever used in over 35 years of riding. The audiovox seems like a great choice for an active cruise control, but I can't get passed the added size, clutter and look of the control module that would live on the handlebar. That's one of the reasons I find the Breakaway so appealing, it's so clean!

Thanks,
Brad

I have a BreakAway on my ST. I have had it for about four Months now and love it. It does shorten the grip but I have not noticed it much. Great product very high quality materials and construction.

JD

Top Bottom