Question for experts (RE: fork brace)

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have a 94 ABS model- in the past, the Superbrace company listed that the brace wouldn’t fit the ABS bikes (I assume ABS II since the fork diameter is larger at 43 mm vs the 41 mm for all of the other bikes including ABS I, which is what I have). The fenders seem the same as well (the 94 as compared to my 2000). Any idea of why a brace wouldn’t fit the 94 ABS? I sent Superbrace a message as the 1100 isn’t listed any longer (and I have a brace on my 2000). I compared the 2 bikes in the garage and they look the same.

Thank You!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I can't answer your question about the availability of the brace, but I am curious about the need for it on an ST1100 if you don't mind the inquiry.
I was under the impression that the heavy metal fender support that the ST1100 has bolted between the two fork legs provided the same support that a fork brace would and negated any benefit that a fork brace could provide. Is this not so?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was under the impression that the heavy metal fender support that the ST1100 has bolted between the two fork legs provided the same support that a fork brace would and negated any benefit that a fork brace could provide. Is this not so?
the fender support bracket you're referring to is very flimsy and provides no real support as far as I can tell. I can't comment on whether an external fork brace will be any better, I've never tried one.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
I don't usually weigh-in on these topics and I fear coming across as a pompous know-it-all, "expert"-in-his-own-mind-only, but...

IMHO, I really don't see the need for fork brace or steering damper on a ST1100 or ST1300 that has a well setup and balanced suspension. If you are putting the bike through stresses that would require these tools on a regular basis, then you should be riding a different bike and taking it to the race track for your fun.

I guess if you want these tools for the rare chance that you hit some debris in the road and want the extra help regaining control, there may be an argument made. But again, I wouldn't install them as, IMHO, the marginal advantage they could give in the remote chance they would be needed isn't worth the time and expense to install them.

I say these things as someone who would routinely touch down my ST1100 fairings mid-corner back in the '90s until that time I realized when your fairing is already dragging and you need to tighten up your turn, there isn't anything more you can do to lean further. Oops.

That's when I got a CBR929RR and went racing. Well, I guess it was a Ducati 916 then a GS500 then a FZR400 then a R6 then a CBR929RR. (The Ducati is in my vanity photo).

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Good to know- thanks for all replies- both STs are decent in turns, maybe the 2000 a little more stable (or maybe it’s just subjective on my part).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I’m no Ricky Racer but I think the Superbrace helps, especially bumps encountered mid turn. Mine was a gift and installed in a few minutes. Well over 100K with it. YMMV FWIW

John

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
I am admittedly ignorant about braces, as I have no personal experience whatsoever, but when I got my racetech front suspension installed, the shop owner asked if I had any steering damper or fork brace installed and I said no. He said "ok good" and basically went on a mini rant about how ineffective they are on the ST11 and how they can screw up the proper operation of the forks, as each side has a different job, rather than being identical twins. This is just going off memory, but he made a distinct impression on my mind that neither are something I should be considering installing on my 1100.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
He said "ok good" and basically went on a mini rant about how ineffective they are on the ST11 and how they can screw up the proper operation of the forks, as each side has a different job, rather than being identical twins.
Huh? Then what part does the axel play in screwing up th proper operation of the forks since makes no accommodation for the non-identical legs. Maybe he feels the axel has juuuuust enough flex to compensate for the dissimilar bits.

Certainly a badly machined part can screw up anything it's related to. What would happen if a piston with a dome 10mm too high were installed in an engine. Or a properly machined part incorrectly installed. IIRC (and I think that I do) both my V65 Sabre and VF1000 Interceptor had a very stout metal brace on the top of the fender bolted to both tubes. It was obviously a fork brace whether or not designed to be one.

There was a YT video on the site somewhere that showed the forks of a '70 era Brit bike's forks filmed at high speed and there was very noticeable fork flex visible in the footage. The tubes were a smaller diameter then maybe because bikes were lighter. I'd like to see the same thing done with an ST to see if there's any flex and to what degree.

There are a few members here with actual hands-on experience with fork braces. If again IRC there were those who felt it helped and those who felt in impaired handling. And those who didn't notice any difference. "Those" does make it sound like there were several who tried a brace but I don't think that was the case.

I believe the worst case scenario of a properly made and installed brace is that it makes no difference what so ever.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I believe the worst case scenario of a properly made and installed brace is that it makes no difference what so ever.
I think a brace could impair the suspension if it attempts to hold the centers of the tubes at a different distance apart than that at the tops and bottoms, increasing slider friction.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think a brace could impair the suspension if it attempts to hold the centers of the tubes at a different distance apart than that at the tops and bottoms, increasing slider friction.
Wouldn't by definition a properly made (I.e. fit for purpose) and properly installed brace not do that? Wouldn't the idea be to ensure the fork tubes remain parallel throughout the range of travel?

I'd think that a brace that didn't do that wouldn't qualify as properly made and properly installed. But sure if it were neither of those I agree it could and would likely induce stiction.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I bought a brace for my 1100 and it definitely made the suspension action worse no matter how I adjusted it. Not a Superbrace however. It added unwanted stiction and made bump absorption worse so it now lives on a shelf. A better brace would have two separate clamps for the legs, then an adjustable centre section so that no side loading is being applied to the sliders. OEM braced forks on bikes like the VF750F from 83 had mounts built in to the fork leg tops, and slotted holes on the brace that bolted on there.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Wouldn't by definition a properly made (I.e. fit for purpose) and properly installed brace not do that? Wouldn't the idea be to ensure the fork tubes remain parallel throughout the range of travel?

I'd think that a brace that didn't do that wouldn't qualify as properly made and properly installed. But sure if it were neither of those I agree it could and would likely induce stiction.
I'm thinking about manufacturing and assembly tolerances of both bike and brace.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
No fork brace here but I did upgrade to RaceTech springs/valves front and rear, totally transformed my ST1300 which handles amazing well even compared to other supposable more capable sports bikes in my garage. Looking for a better handling bike, upgrade the suspension!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Parallel AND remain in the same plane (IOW, not twist relative to each other).
Hmm. Lemme think about that aloud for a minnit:

The triple clamps keep the upper tubes from twisting, so that's not a concern. But, the sliders certainly can rotate on the tubes, so let's explore that a little bit:

For a twist to occur, the rake angles would have to differ, one slider would be behind the other, and the axle would be on a different angle than the triple clamps.

The sliders are already locked into "facing" each other by the axle at the bottom, and by the fender brace at the top, so a brace wouldn't add any anti-twisting.

Forcing a bike's fork to twist requires the triple clamps to twist relative to each other, unless the tubes become bent, in which case you have bigger problems.

It seems to me the most adding a brace would do is reinforce, i.e., duplicate the existing fender brace, as well as add a bit of un-sprung weight to the front end.

Bike
R1200rt
Agree with John O ..A fork brace or fork stabilizer is supposed to help prevent twisting or torque in the front forks of a motorcycle. The theory is that adding a fork brace can help to reduce low- and high-speed wobbles, improve stability and reduce tire cupping, according to the manufacturer.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
No fork brace here but I did upgrade to RaceTech springs/valves front and rear, totally transformed my ST1300 which handles amazing well even compared to other supposable more capable sports bikes in my garage. Looking for a better handling bike, upgrade the suspension!
Agreed. I was lucky to have bought my 1100 already equipped with a Traxxion Dynamics fork and a Progressive shock/spring, which I probably wouldn't have done on my own.

Top Bottom