Question for those that wrapped Exhaust

Mine still smells like burning newspaper 1000 miles later..not bad anymore, but it's there when you stop the bike...

Anyone else have this issue?

I used Summit Racing wrap and the Silicon spray hight temp paint.

It seems to of reduced the heat to a manageble level, its still there though!

I thought it was more like burnt apple pie, you know when the pie drips onto the oven's heating element. It will go away, but in the mean time, I craved for apple pies!

Part of your smell might be the paint. I wrapped mine but didn't paint them and have NO smell after about 100 mi. Doesn't eliminate the heat but does make it bearable.

OP
OP
RibsST1300
Have you done anything else for the heat?
Like remove inner cowling ????

I also placed a reflective blanket from front of gastank to behing my seat-no help there...it's fiberglass/mylar/reinforced aluminuim? sheet, only holes are for gas line and seat mount bolts, still burning hot.

I also put silver reflective tape on the bottom for the seat, and wrapped my gloveboxes with reflective tape.

My heat problem seems to be the heat flowing out the side ports at the valve covers, it comes right up my legs to crotch & stomach...my ankles and shins are fine.

I used thermotec? I think. It still smells some when it gets wet but doesn't smoke like initially. It has taken a good bit of the heat away from me.

I did the wrap, no spray, and have no smells whatsoever. cut the heat by maybe 50%, so for me it was worth it. i've done 97 deg. days and i can honestly say i didn't suffer anymore bc of the bike than i normally do riding in 97 deg weather. Maybe being an ATGATT helps:)

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
I just recently pulled the inner cowling from the bike. I was really surprised at how much less heat I feel on my legs. While I never thought the heat was more than should be expected, given the size of the engine and the position of the headers, I do find it more comfortable now. I've noticed that the fans do run more often in slow moving traffic, but they seem to be able to keep up as the temp never exceeds three bars. Another benefit is cooler storage compartments. I imagine I'll have more road film on the inside of the fairing as a result, but if it doesn't cause problems, it's a fair trade off.

Bike
good ?
I'm new, but at 85 * I ride with my knee's out to stay cool. I was thinking of making a small plexi glass windshield for the front of the heads(vent opening) so the heat would be pull further out in wind stream instead of straight on to my legs. I've seen this on Large pressure carburetors to get the fuel stream to the out side edges of a square throttle body. Might look something like a triangle with the base shaped like the front vent opening and tilted back so more air runs outward thus pulling the heat out with it.

Bike
ST13
I'm new, but at 85 * I ride with my knee's out to stay cool.
I do the same thing. I've been trying to figure out a good way to scoop/deflect some outside air. Unrelated comment - the humidity makes all the difference in how comfortable I can ride when the temps get hot.

Bike
good ?
I do the same thing. I've been trying to figure out a good way to scoop/deflect some outside air. Unrelated comment - the humidity makes all the difference in how comfortable I can ride when the temps get hot.
Ya, it's Humid here big time. Rode around the lake yesterday, 97* I think once it gets hot, say 85-100 it all feels the same.

Top Bottom