Question regarding carb bell crank

misterguitar

1993 ST1100, 1982 GL500, 1977 GL1000, 1975 GL1000
So I rebuilt my carbs. New rubber and everything is shiny and clean now! But I went to put the carb cables on and I noticed my return cable is too short. I did notice this with the bell crank. Does this or should this go all the way back down to the stop?I don;t think it would make a difference as the cable would still be too short but thought I would ask. I bought Honda brand return cable part#17920-MT3-000. The pull cable seems ot be honda factory original. I can;t vouch for the throttle pipe though as the bike came with aftermarket heli bars. Would any of this impact cable length?

IMG_4729.jpg

I should also ad I checked the orientation of the throttle plates when installing and the bevel is correctly oriented and they do fully shut.

Another Honda engineering marvel, I mean puzzle. I vaguely recall attaching the cables to the bellcrank prior to placing the carbs into the mounting boots. The frame cross member was in the way otherwise.

Unless you moved the stop in the process, it should rest on the stop.
The little 'screw' there is the idle adjuster that comes out at the gas tank lid.
I would get as much slack in all the adjusters (the ones at the grip and the ones at the carb) and then work from there if you have not already done that.
If they fit before, they should fit back.

THanks guys! I managed to figure it out. I didn't have all of the slack out on one of the cables. I think I'm going blind! It took me a few tries and a few hours to figure out the clamp bands on the carbs as far as orientation. first time I put them on the screws were blocking the throttle linkage by being on the inside side of the intake boots. But I got it all squared away now. She looks sharp with the new replacement rubber mat too! It's starting to look like a bike again!

It's starting to look like a bike again!
It'll be even better when it starts behaving like one.
ricky.gif

Last edited:
... clamp bands on the carbs ... orientation... screws were blocking the throttle linkage...
Yep... #1 carb upper Isolator clamp. We’ve known about this little issue for years. Aughtabee a note/caution in the Service Manual (mine’s annotated, plus pictures in my archives). You’re in good company. :)

Continued good wishes during your rebuild!

John

It'll be even better when it starts behaving like one. :radleak:
AMEN! This project has turned into a total R&R that I did not anticipate considering the price I paid for the bike. But way I look at it is I have a much better in depth understanding of the bike, its history over the model years, its strengths and issues. SO well worth. the investment! And I would not have this if not for the wonderful people here who answer all my dumb questions! You guys are truly the best!

Back
Top Bottom