Questions about the Race Tech Gold valve kits

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have read many of the posts about the Race Tech Gold Valve kits and thought that I knew what was going on. Then I called Michelle at Race Tech and now I am confused. I thought that all of the ST1300 kits were already set up with the proper number of shims, but Michelle stated that was true only with the Cap and valve kit. The valve kit by itself came with a selection of shims and it was up to you to fiqure out how you wanted it set up. I also asked about using Sonic springs with the Cap and valve kit and she wasn't sure about this. I thought that it could be done. I have the Sonic 1.1 springs installed.

With the STOC discount the Cap and valve kit is $439.99 and the valves only are $319.99. I have made numerous adjustments to the preload on my Sonic springs trying to set them up like I want them, so the caps would make things much easier if they work with the sonic springs. The question is how hard is it to set up the valves without the caps?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
I did my valves over the winter and they came ready to go.
I did not buck up and get the adjustable caps because it was going to be another 400 bucks.At least this was my understanding.
I did the sonic 1.2 springs.
I do wish I had got the adjustable caps.The front needs a small tweaking.

Sean

Bike
'07 ST1300
I do wish I had got the adjustable caps.The front needs a small tweaking.

Sean
Sean,

I have the original valve kit too and it was also pre-shimmed, no extra shims with it. The pre-load was off a bit so with a tubing cutter for the spacer and the extra shims (washers) that came with the springs it took two tries to get the preload right. Beware: The shim thickness adds (or subtracts) much more preload than you would logically think, so go easy on the tweaking.

Bill

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
Bill,
That is my plan this winter.I think I need to take a small amount out and soften it up a tad.

Thanks for the feed back.
Sean

Top Bottom