R1150R test

I've got an 02ST1100 ABS, and love it. There is nothing this bike does poorly. I prolly rode the ST 30,000 miles last year, and may 15,000 on other members of my modest fleet. I also have MBS, and live by the motto that the correct number of bikes to own is n+1, n being equal to what you currently have...:D

So I've been eying the newish R1200R, but they are a bit pricey new, without many used available. So I've got a friend selling a low mileage 2002 R1150R (previous engine model). Absolutely unmolested, nothing added since it was new. Borrowed it a few days ago, and have put about 100 miles on it so far. I have use of it this coming week, and I ride about 100 miles a day on my commute, so I'll have the opportunity to ... get used to it. Maybe. I've owned various bikes of every other major brand, but only looked at Beemers. Nothing really drew me in, and I never drank the Kool-Aid. The burnt orange R90S was the last Beemer I admired, but it was way out of my price range at the time... But I know of lots of folks who love their Beemers, won't ride/purchase anything else, and ride tens and even scores of tens of thousands of miles, happily all the way, Best Motorcycle in the World, etc, etc.

But... as much as I wanted to like, I was frankly underwhelmed. When compared to the ST1100, and even to my nakedized 84 GL1200, it felt like a farm implement :confused:. That may be a bit harsh, and my intent is not to bash the bike after so little seat time. But, but... the seatpeg/seat/bar relationship was uncomfortable, the stock "high" windshield was almost no different from NO windshield (I know, as I was sticking my head out to the side to compare...), pretty buzzy, odd gearing, useless mirrors at speed, and when you twisted the throttle, it was sort of like the captain of a ship communicating "more speed" to his first officer, who radioed to the engine room supervisor, who yelled to the firebox stoker crew chief, who yelled to the stokers, who started shoveling in more coal. Eventually things would speed up; but not before the hole in traffic you were trying to scoot into closed. Handling at low speeds/tight corners was definitely better; lower center of gravity and all that. But on my 3 mile dirt road driveway, I felt... disconnected from the front wheel. Less feedback with the tele-lever I guess. While I had read this in the past, it was hard to visualize it without being there first-hand. It may be that I'd get used to it, in the "what you don't know can't hurt you" frame of mind... but I dunno.

Anybody else tried one of these? I'd love to hear some feedback, especially from anyone who currently owns both these bikes. Interestingly enough, I attended the Cycle World/Progressive bike show in Phoenix yesterday. Was talking to a Beemer guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable. When relating my tale, a couple things came out. 1) You need some seat time to... appreciate the qualities of the Boxer. They will never be an ST1100/1300, but they have other attributes. His words, not mine. ;) I also sat on the 2014 R1200R. Seems more comfortable than the R1150R; I think the pegs moved down and forward. 2) Then he said that I REALLY need to test an R1200R; an "improved in every aspect" motorcycle.

This am I looked at specs for the bikes, and added my now classic GL1200 (30 years old!) and the ST1300. The numbers tell most of the story:

Bike HP Torque
ST1100 100 81
R1150R 85 71
R1200R 109 85
GL1200 94 77
ST1300 117 86

These numbers are ( I think) accurate, but they came from different sources. But the relationship seems right, based upon my butt dyno. And yep, the R1150R is indeed the dog of the group. And I guess the R1200R has been upgraded a bit: it actually surpasses the ST1100 in both HP and torque :confused:. It is also right alongside the ST1300 in torque, which I find a more useful comparator than ultimate HP. Good trick, for a twin; wonder if they sacrificed any of that "renowned" reliability? Only time will tell.

Educating comments appreciated...

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Some things I noticed about the 2014 RT1200. According to specs it has about the same hp and 4 more lb-ft. But he real differences I've noticed are a lower center of gravity, stabilized front fork, and more than 100 lbs lighter. So, hp to weight ratio is better. Some other things worth noting: The 2014 model has a wet clutch, so it's not as clunky. Also has a sixth gear. Has a weaker alternator/generator than the ST which is not as easy to hook into as the ST for farkles.

Not so sure about reliability though. I've read conflicting posts on the forum.

OP
OP
Thanks guys,

I was hoping to hear from folks who had, or have, or knows someone who did, the R1150R; but the mod decided this was a Beemer post, and moved it here. Where I'm sure at least 2 or 3 folks will see this... Sigh.
There has to be more to the R1150R that I'm missing... I think?

I'm really not trying to bash the German marque, but in the metrics I use for comparison, I just don't get it. Tens if not 100's of thousands think this is the cats pajamas...

I have thought about a ST1300, but it seems more of the ST1100; and the ST1100 does just about everything perfect. Have a friend who just did the upgrade, and his comments were exactly that; take the ST1100, and make it "more"... Guess I am looking for a change; but that does not mean I want to go backward a couple decades... Now if Honda would release the Cross Tourer here, I'd be all over it...

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I rode an 1150 R years ago for two days and found it to be a blast. It was quicker and better handling than my 1150 RT, which I eventually ditched because it was unreliable. If you get a reliable R unit, three things might help you enjoy it more:

1--keep the revs up when shifting. It cannot pull at lower rpms like our STs. It is a better machine over 4500 rpm
2--to avoid feeling like a tractor, do the beemer pre-shift: keep revs up with light foot pressure under the shifter and then quickly pull in the clutch. With a bit of practice it will snick in.
3--the telelever takes getting used to. I loved it. I appreciated the way it isolated me just enough--like when the front tire hits irregularities in the middle of a spirited curve. At those moments I do NOT need precise and sensitive feel to scare the bejeesus outta me.

As you've found, the 1200R is a great improvement. The pegs may be lowered and forward, which would improve comfort. And I just read over on the BMW sport touring website that BMW used prices are soft at present. Finally, there is an owners group: something like R1150R owners [ which also includes 1200s.] -- best of luck

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well I have a ST 1300 and rented a R1200R for a European tour and put a little over 1000 miles on it. My only complaint about the R1200R was the ridiculously tall gearing and no way to alter it. I use the torque of the ST and run 5 th gear between 2500 and 3500 rpms for most of my riding. That rpm is useless on the Beemer unless you are in second or 3 rd gear.

Edit: I said that wrong, at speeds I would be running around in 5 th gear on my ST, I had to be in second or 3rd gear on the Beemer and would be running 4500 to 5000 rpms. There that's what i meant to say.

I enjoyed the lighter weight, the awesome brakes, and the clutch and trans on the Beemer I rode was fine. But that ridiculously tall gearing ruined a perfectly good motorcycle for me. I know there are a lot of guys that don't mind riding around in 3 rd all day, but thats just not me.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Snipped................but in the metrics I use for comparison, I just don't get it. Tens if not 100's of thousands think this is the cats pajamas...
If I understand the statement let's look closer. In the 4 (?) years the R1150R was sold in the US the total number of units sold per year was less than 10,000. The GS and RT roughly account for about half of sales. Then the K bikes, the various 650s, even the 450s, they have to be accounted for. The naked R was competing with the R1150ST if I recall and neither sold that well and probably took sales from each other so that leaves maybe hundreds to maybe a 1000 sold per here per year in the best years and I think I am being generous. So maybe 3 or 5,000 R1150Rs were sold in the US. In this forum owners of R1150Rs are likely skinny on the ground....might you have better luck in a BMW focused forum?

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I test rode one I was thinking of buying. The thing shook like a paint shaker up over 4K in every gear getting up to speed. Strangely though, in top gear at the same rpm it was dead smooth & the acceleration from 70 mph up was great. Downshifting in a turn had the back end stepping out which was a bit unnerving. The bike felt great sitting on it--very sporty--a lot like the VFR.

In the end, I passed on it. Nice bike but not for me....

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
In 2002 I stopped by the BMW dealer prepared to write a check for a new R1150RT. Friends of mine had RT's (some still do) and I was ready to join their ranks. The sales guy insisted I take it for a ride first and later I thanked him. The test route was 20 miles but it took far less than that to convince me it wasn't for me. I didn't like the vibey motor, the surge off idle, the vague handling (I've ridden several Beemers with Telelever front ends and that appears to be the nature of the beast, YMMV), the three-button turn signal system... Long and short of it, I bought an ST. (I still wish was lighter but the motor makes up for it.) I've since ridden an R1200RT which the sales guy assured me was totally smooth compared to the 1150. Nope. Boxers are a taste I haven't acquired, others love 'em. Ride what you like.

OP
OP
Thanks again guys. Comments from current ST'ers is what I was looking for, as that is my current "gold standard" for comparisons. I'm pretty sure that if I posted my honest (really) comments on any of the Beemer sites, I'd have been singed by the flamers... The numbers of Beemers sold was also good info; I would have thought it was more.

That said, about 400 miles now, I've grown a bit more accustomed to the Boxer... character.

Still significant more vibration that the ST1100, especially below 3500-4k.
Still pokey; but if you just wind it out a bit more, it's acceptable. But then more vibration, and the dry clutch takes some practice to be able to execute good shifts.
But over 4k it does get faster and smoother. Unfortunately, 4k is tight at an indicated 80mph, which is about as fast as I normally travel on my work commute. But the roll-on from 70-100 is good-just still not as good as the ST1100.
As another poster indicated, the Telelever must take some getting used to; I was getting there. And the turn signals are indeed ... unique. But everytime I used them it took added concentration to turn them off; very distracting.
All in all, I'm returning it to my friend tomorrow. I may be looking at a R1200R in the future, as it appears a much improved version of the R1150R. If the power improvement feels real, and the ergos fit, I may be able to get used to the Telelever and the signals. But I'm glad I got the opportunity to ride it for an extended time.

Last thought. On some forums, the ST11/13 are somewhat derided for being like an Accord. Smooth, efficient, reliable and...uninteresting. "Lacking character" are the words sometimes used. It appears to me that "character" in this sense seems to be a euphemism for what some would term quirky functionality; ok. maybe even flaws... But as the two previous posters indicated, to each his own... :)

Thanks again for taking time to respond. Your input was appreciated. Regards all.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Last thought. On some forums, the ST11/13 are somewhat derided for being like an Accord. Smooth, efficient, reliable and...uninteresting. "Lacking character" are the words sometimes used. It appears to me that "character" in this sense seems to be a euphemism for what some would term quirky functionality; ok. maybe even flaws... But as the two previous posters indicated, to each his own...
Larry Grodsky (RIP), one penned this gem:

"What the Italians call 'character' the Japanese consider 'design flaws' and the Germans deny to their graves."

Top Bottom