Race Tech Front Supsension

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I set the extra 16 mm preload on the stock springs it took care of the excessive dive under braking but I weigh 152 - 155 lbs. The stock springs are set for a rider of my weight or less. Your 180 lbs is probably a little too much for the .86 stock springs.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Does anyone have a link to a video or progressive pictures on how to do this? The video for the timid and measure once, cut twice, please. Seriously, cost aside, is this a mod beyond for the pros only?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Jon - Are you asking about how to change out springs or just adjust preload? Neither are really all that hard. The hardest part for me is measuring the sag after I adjust pre-load because you need a helping hand or two to do it right. The only thing I've found to be tricky so far is that it's not an exact science. There is a fair amount of trial and error involved. The spring calculator that sonic and racetech have on their websites are really just to get you in the ballpark.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Valving is the key to reducing fork dive under braking and tuning the fork action. The only job of the springs is to hold the bike up. If you don't do the valves, you won't fix that with springs. OTOH, springs are the key to setting sag.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Valving is the key to reducing fork dive under braking and tuning the fork action. The only job of the springs is to hold the bike up. If you don't do the valves, you won't fix that with springs. OTOH, springs are the key to setting sag.
If it was in my budget I may have gone that route. But I am remaining optimistic that using stiffer springs, correct sag, and perhaps experimenting with different oil types I can find a happy place. What I know for sure now is that the stock springs were way too low for me. So at the very least I'm a lot closer to where I should be on the front suspension. I bought this bike used with 57K miles on it and I'm pretty sure the fork oil had never been changed. It looked like used motor oil (black) when I dumped it out. It's possible that even just changing the oil (and not the springs) would have made a big improvement for me.

STbennett

Rockster2ST
Bike
06 ST 1300
Dave,
I live in NE florida as well(J'ville) I want to exchange info. as you seem very knowledgeable in regards to the ST and I just purchased an 06 ST, that I want to put alotta miles on sometime in the near future. Hope to hear from ya...

Bike
2003 ST1300
Jon - Are you asking about how to change out springs or just adjust preload? Neither are really all that hard. The hardest part for me is measuring the sag after I adjust pre-load because you need a helping hand or two to do it right. The only thing I've found to be tricky so far is that it's not an exact science. There is a fair amount of trial and error involved. The spring calculator that sonic and racetech have on their websites are really just to get you in the ballpark.
I'm really looking for a step by step. A to Z. While I realize its not an exact science, I just recharged my rear shocks, and now my fronts are really feeling rough in comparison. I am getting confusing methods from the tech section. If anyone did a write up, U-tube, etc., I'd be interested.
Thanks, STreaker+

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dave,
I live in NE florida as well(J'ville) I want to exchange info. as you seem very knowledgeable in regards to the ST and I just purchased an 06 ST, that I want to put alotta miles on sometime in the near future. Hope to hear from ya...
Check your Private Message Inbox.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If anyone is following this...the latest update is when I called Racetech last week about exchanging the springs they said they'd ship the new ones out that day (Tuesday). Having not received the springs yet a week later i called them again and they said it looks like they are on back order. They are supposed to call me again and let me know when they will have them. So, my luck continues with Racetech as my ST sits in wait. Apparently, their system said they had inventory that they actually did not have.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Alright folks - I had quite the runaround with Racetech on this...I finally received the 2nd set of springs last Friday the 29th and put them in on the 30th. A big shout out to Britney at Racetech who was extremely helpful. Not only did she finally get the .95's springs shipped to me she also got me the STOC discount credited back to me. With the new set of springs I backed down from 35mm of preload and went with 25mm and ended up still at 39mm of sag. I was targeting 35-56mm of sag. I just last night took them apart again and went up to 30mm pre-load - haven't been able to measure the sag yet. But I can say that I've taken it for a ride and it feels completely different riding with so much less sag than before- it feels much more eager to roll into the corners. I have a feeling I'm really going to like the new springs and sag adjustments.

I failed to take any pictures or videos of the process but I would encourage any of you that want to try this upgrade to give it a whirl. It really was not that hard at all. I'd gladly reply to anyone's questions that are considering it.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
But I can say that I've taken it for a ride and it feels completely different riding with so much less sag than before- it feels much more eager to roll into the corners. I have a feeling I'm really going to like the new springs and sag adjustments.
Great! glad to hear you are moving forward with your suspension mod.:D

Top Bottom