Race Tech Rebuild Issue...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Received my rebuilt rear shock today from RaceTech. Using the great information on this site, removal of the stock shock only took an hour. But, I'm having major issues getting the newly rebuilt shock back into the bike.

The primary reason for this is because RaceTech did not align the top and bottom bolt holes, and no matter how hard I try to align the holes I cannot get the bottom bolt hole to line up. I originally tried it with the top bolt installed, but removed it to provide more rotational play in shock movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I tried playing with my stock shock and the top and bottom pieces feel very tight. I basically called it a night when my beer was empty...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You should be able to twist the mounts into alignment. Back off on all the spring preload, mount one end (either in a vise or mount one end to the bike-a vise is probably easier). Now put a long screwdriver or something and twist until the two ends are aligned.

OP
OP
ST_John
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I'll have to try reducing the pre-load! Totally forgot about that, thank you! I'll do exactly what you recommend after work today...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like Jeff said it shouldn't be a problem to turn the lower part of the shock to bring it into alignment with the upper one. Mine was not lined up either when I got it back from RaceTech.

OP
OP
ST_John
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
That's reassuring...I was really worried last night when I couldn't get it to turn. I've done these on other vehicles before and never had this problem, so it must be the pre-load holding it. I even tried turning it with a large screwdriver, but didn't want to put too much pressure on the softer aluminum.

I'll take it back out tonight and get it sorted. I can't wait to feel how it rides! The fronts now have Sonic Springs and they are amazing...

Thanks for the help...really appreciate it.

Update: All it took was loosening the pre-load, and the shock slid right into position. The Right Step was a bear to reinstall, but overall not too bad. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited:
Top Bottom