Rad Leak

Bike
2005 st1300
Wondering if anyone has any experience with leaks in their rad. I pulled my bodywork off today to do some maintenance and noticed a wet spot on my rad, right where there was a dent in the fins. Looks like I took a rock or some type of debris. It must be very small as my levels are still up. It could have happened very recently, but i never noticed an odor last time out. I am reading mixed reviews of aluminum rad repairs. I will take the rad to my local rad guy this week, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here had had a leak fixed on their rad and what type of repair i.e., solder, epoxy or other and how well did it work.
Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think someone across the pond recently posted a thread about repairing or even buying a new radiator that was significantly cheaper than the OEM one.

OP
OP
Bmacleod
Bike
2005 st1300
I think someone across the pond recently posted a thread about repairing or even buying a new radiator that was significantly cheaper than the OEM one.
I do remember something about a replacement Chinese unit that's fit and finish left something to be desired, but couldnt find the thread.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just reread that thread, thank you, @Andrew Shadow, and it sounded like a workable option. Mounts were welded in the wrong place, but MrButter was able to bend them and make the radiator work. For $200 it sounds like a good deal. And in a pinch, you could always get some aluminum solder and make your own attaching tabs, but they might have gotten the locations straightened out by now.

OP
OP
Bmacleod
Bike
2005 st1300
Thanks Andrew. I will keep that in mind but as of right now I'm hoping that it will be a simple repair for the original one. The rest of the rad is in perfect shape... Just that one stone hit. Just have to wait for the rad shop to open tomorrow to find out.
I will add that the aftermarket Chinese radiator from that other post sure did look like a robust unit.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks Andrew. I will keep that in mind but as of right now I'm hoping that it will be a simple repair for the original one.
It sounds to me like your radiator only needs a minor repair, and I am sure that you would prefer that to a replacement.
I posted a link to the Chinese replacement radiator thread not as a suggestion, but rather because I thought that it was the thread that you were referring to and couldn't find.

OP
OP
Bmacleod
Bike
2005 st1300
It sounds to me like your radiator only needs a minor repair, and I am sure that you would prefer that to a replacement.
I posted a link to the Chinese replacement radiator thread not as a suggestion, but rather because I thought that it was the thread that you were referring to and couldn't find.
Yep, understood, thanks

OP
OP
Bmacleod
Bike
2005 st1300
I had the rad pressure tested and the shop found no leaks. Strange. I am going to reinstall it and flush and renew the coolant, as it was due anyhow. In the process, I will heat it a few times with water in it and let it pressurize and see what happens. If all seems good, I will do the final fill with the coolant mix. I am trying to figure what could have caused a stain/damp patch from the outside. I am baffled. Either that or the shop screwed up and there is actually still a leak. The stain was right behind the fork tube and my first thought was a fork seal, but they are new and bone-dry
Did you try rapid rad in “The Shwa? Fora Permanent Repair?
No, but I will keep them in mind if I still have issues, thank you. The place I went to said they couldnt repair it if there had been a leak, because it was aluminum

Top Bottom