RainX type stuff safe for plastic fairing and helmet screen?

I went to buy RainX with the idea of using it on the windscreen of my fairing as well as on the clear shield of my helmet, when, lo and behold, reading the bottle, it says "Don't use on plastic".

So, that being the case, is anyone aware of an alternate products that works on plastic as well as RainX does on glass?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not all plastic is the same. I have used RainX on V Stream and Aeroflow windshields with no ill effects.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Those products do depend on wind to push droplets away, so face shields behind windshields may not clear as well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rain-X is not what it used to be. Some years back, after being disgusted with its poor performance on a car's windshield, I called the company. After a bit I found a helpful tech rep who told me they had to change the formulation to accommodate the EPA. The old stuff was great, the new stuff not so much. I have found that if you use their windshield washer juice regularly, the water repellency improves over time.

And yes, seriously, Pledge furniture polish works.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Rain-X is not what it used to be. Some years back, after being disgusted with its poor performance on a car's windshield, I called the company. After a bit I found a helpful tech rep who told me they had to change the formulation to accommodate the EPA. The old stuff was great, the new stuff not so much. I have found that if you use their windshield washer juice regularly, the water repellency improves over time.

And yes, seriously, Pledge furniture polish works.
I'll add that yes, RainX ain't what it used to be, but it still works. I don't use it on windshields however, makes the blades chatter, in my experience. Where it absolutely excels is side, rear windows and exterior rearview mirrors. If you drive an SUV or minivan, anything with lots of glass, it keeps rain and snow from sticking and drastically improves visibility. Try it, you won't believe the difference. Same goes for their Anti-fog product, all that glass without defrosting mechanisms stays clear. Several years driving plow trucks in blizzards made me a believer.

RT

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
If you want something very hydrophobic for you helmet or windscreen get some of this:
This ceramic coating with graphene is safe on plastic and is amazing stuff. I use it on my windshield and helmet and on my wife's new car. You don't have to use your wipers in the rain with this stuff on your windshield and going through the car wash the air dry blows almost all the water off so little drying is needed. It is expensive but goes a long long way.

Dan

Bike
R1200rt
If you want something very hydrophobic for you helmet or windscreen get some of this:
This ceramic coating with graphene is safe on plastic and is amazing stuff. I use it on my windshield and helmet and on my wife's new car. You don't have to use your wipers in the rain with this stuff on your windshield and going through the car wash the air dry blows almost all the water off so little drying is needed. It is expensive but goes a long long way.

Dan
there is lots of this stuff on amazon claims to be the same stuff just cheaper

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
there is lots of this stuff on amazon claims to be the same stuff just cheaper
I am not sure it is the same or not. There is a lot of supposed ceramic coating products made in China that are sold very cheap. Adams has been around a long time and they are the developers of adding graphene to add even more protection.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The old RainX worked great on helmet visors. I had two bottles...one at home and one at work, just in case I needed to freshen the coating up before going home. It said it was for glass only, but worked like a champ and I never had a problem.

After retiring, I bought a new bottle of RainX. The glass version is easy to find, so I just bought one of those. It sucked. I didn't realize they had changed the formula, but it makes sense now that I think about it. If you go to a place like O'Reilly's, they do sell the plastic version. It works great.

Chris

Top Bottom