RAM Ball dash mounts

Bike
2006 St1300
While looking at RAM balls I saw this mount for the BMWs

I'd like to try and get my GPS up higher using something similar. Probably just a simple ball directly mounted to the dash. My main concern is vibration. Is anyone using a high mount like this?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
While looking at RAM balls I saw this mount for the BMWs

I'd like to try and get my GPS up higher using something similar. Probably just a simple ball directly mounted to the dash. My main concern is vibration. Is anyone using a high mount like this?
Lot's of people with GPS units mounted on dash shelves. That's how I have mine on the 1100. I much prefer having it up high. I don't have to move my eyes so far from the road to view the GPS, which I think is safer.

There are a few pictures in this thread that so where mine is mounted:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42805

I'm not using a RAM mount, though. I found the RAM, with the rubber balls, let my Garmin bounce too much. I found something called a shrimp mount:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Shrimp-Bolt-on-with-Camera-Top-P854C47.aspx

I like it better than the RAM. The balls are solid, not rubber, so my GPS doesn't bounce around. (I previously had a solid mount, and have never had any reliability issues with Garmin equipment, so I don't think the supposed vibration isolation of the rubber ball is really needed). The ball moves in the arm in three axes, instead of just two on the RAM. And the ball is offset, rather than in the center, which gives you more positioning flexibility to play around with.

Only downside I've found is that there are very few options, as opposed to the huge flexibility the RAM system offers.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I have the Zumo 550 which is currently mounted on the Heli riser witht he RAM mount. I'd like to also move mine up above the dash. I was thinking that maybe the standard round RAM base bolted down through the forward facing surface of the dash with a backing plate below the dash so the plastic dash isn't handling all the weight. But I don't know if the dash plastic could handle the stress.

Top Bottom