RAM Triple Ball Dashboard

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Is anyone still making these?

I found some old posts but the links for them seem to be dead.

Also, thoughts/ experiences with them and are there options like- Once center ball, triple-ball, etc.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Or even a CAD drawing or stl file for 3D printing?

OP
OP
AZMotorgod
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STRider-

In my research, I did find this-

which I will try if a vendor one is no longer an option.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The place I got mine, and the only source I ever found for the three-ball version, is OOB. He used to be a member here but was terribly affected by the death of his beloved Yorkie "Lexie" (she used to ride everywhere with him, in a custom-made enclosure that sat on top of the gas tank).

After she died he closed his business, sold his bike and all the gear (too many associations that caused painful memories) and took off on a nomadic kayak voyage. I don't recall seeing any posts from him for a few years now.

AS for the dingus itself: I liked it. It mounted easily and was a good place to attach doodads. At various times I had my phone, a GPS, and various cameras in place all at once. I stopped using it as a camera mount because the images picked up reflections off the back of the windshield, but for mounting other gizmos it was very handy. An assortment of RAM arms of various lengths was handy to keep things from colliding with or overlapping one another.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is anyone still making these?
I am pretty sure nobody is making these for sale. This question has come up in the past, and the answer is the same, though I did not know about OOB. You noted that other thread, in which TXRoadRash made one himself. I don't know how well you work with tools and your hands, but this kind of thing is one of the simplest things to make for the ST. You can buy 1" x 1/8" aluminum bar at Hopot, cut it with a hacksaw and drill two or three holes. You will need a countersink to cut a cone shaped recess in the bottom of the bracket for each screw hole and as many RAM balls as you wish to have. Everything is readily available, and if you don't think you have the fabrication skills, I'm sure you can find someone who does on the RAN list (go to Riding > RAN List USA then see who is near you). Buy the materials, a six pack of beer and go to meet a fellow ST rider and ride to his house.

About the design. I use mine (came on the bike) with a GPS (horizontal format for my Zumo) and for my iPhone - vertical format w/ RAM X grip. Were I to make this again, I would probably eliminate the center ball and move the two outer ones a bit closer together. It would be best to get the gear together you wish to use with this mount and mock something up on a desk so you can see how far to space the balls. Remember you need to reach behind the equipment to tighten the RAM clamps. If you want, I can measure mine and send you a dimensioned sketch. PM me if you think that's needed, but I think TX covered everything.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You can get them thru PSR according to their website.

1607602066392.png

3D printed, around $80.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
IIRC one member fashioned the 3-ball shelf and another started making and selling them as the RBIS shelf. I have one and it's handy enough. Had I to do it over the PSR or BikeQuip versions would be my choice (neither were available at the time) purely for the aesthetics when unladen.

The RBIS was nice enough kit though. It came with four key blanks for fashioning the short key mod for the ST's various locks aside from the IGN.

There is one manufacture (who's name I can't recall) of a similar shelf that had a slightly different mounting system that helped or prevented the internal tabs from breaking and (IIRC) made the mount more vibration free. My RBIS is very lightly and only occasionally loaded so I've experianced very minor vibration. So if you find something you like be carefully about cranking down the mounting screws.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I made a copy of the RBIS out of 5/16” aluminum bar I got at HD- it took a while to get the radius correct, but it works great, have used it on many trips to hold my phone and GPS. I tapped it in 3 places for 1/4-20 bolts, to hold the Ram balls on, and drilled it to attach at the locations of the two screws at the top of the ST1300 “dash “. Can provide pics if it will help. Not a tough project.

I have recently collected the various pieces and plan on making one over the Holiday break (great excuse to spend some time in the garage :)

It will be based on the post noted above.

Top Bottom