RDL backrest issue

Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I love my RDL, and I love the backrest, but they do not go together right. The backrest pushes me forward so that I cannot sit in the seat spot. I cut the vertical post and used a block of wood to experiment with a rear offset about an inch. That is a big improvement, but I find it hard to believe RDL would have a backrest that cannot be moved back far enough. Does anyone know if they make a rear offset? Adjustable would be even better. If not, I will need to fabricate my own permanent solution, the block of wood is just temporary but it has already lasted longer than I expected.
TR

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
All the ones I've seen were adjustable. Did you run out of adjustment?

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
All the ones I've seen were adjustable. Did you run out of adjustment?
Mine adjusts up and down, but not back and forth unless you do not insert it all the way into the passenger seat. So yes, it is as far back as it can go.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
Did you call Russell?
I was of the understanding they have good customer service.
So far I just sent them an email, but that was only yesterday. I am hoping they have some suggestions if not an alternate mount for the backrest.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I haven't looked at one in a while but I seem to remember an aluminum wedge that adjust up/down to tilt the seat forward/back. Look for the silver/white piece in the picture. Loosen screw, slide up or down. The higher up, the farther it tilts to the back. I hope you didn't mess it up by cutting the part off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I haven't looked at one in a while but I seem to remember an aluminum wedge that adjust up/down to tilt the seat back. Look for the silver/white piece in the picture. Loosen screw, slide up or down. The higher up, the farther it tilts to the back.
That is correct on all the ones that I have for the ST1100 - it allows quite a bit of adjustment.

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I haven't looked at one in a while but I seem to remember an aluminum wedge that adjust up/down to tilt the seat forward/back. Look for the silver/white piece in the picture. Loosen screw, slide up or down. The higher up, the farther it tilts to the back. I hope you didn't mess it up by cutting the part off.
thanks, I have that piece, it is to adjust the angle, but I need to move the whole thing back an inch.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
"thanks, I have that piece, it is to adjust the angle, but I need to move the whole thing back an inch."

If that's the case, you'll probably have to send it back to Russell. Maybe a local seat guy can move it.

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
This is an old post and I gave up on the backrest. but I just saw the problem thanks to your picture. The passenger seat on yours has a cut out for the backrest to go back another inch or so. I have the little angle piece, but my passenger seat does not have the cut out. RDL did contact me and the bottom line is I could send my seat to them to add the cut out, but I dont need it that bad and now on a long trip I can pack my dry bag and use it as a backrest. thanks for posting that picture, I did not notice the cut out at the time you sent it.

OP
OP
Trussellcma
Bike
07 ST 1300 A
I love my RDL, and I love the backrest, but they do not go together right. The backrest pushes me forward so that I cannot sit in the seat spot. I cut the vertical post and used a block of wood to experiment with a rear offset about an inch. That is a big improvement, but I find it hard to believe RDL would have a backrest that cannot be moved back far enough. Does anyone know if they make a rear offset? Adjustable would be even better. If not, I will need to fabricate my own permanent solution, the block of wood is just temporary but it has already lasted longer than I expected.
TR
Follow up, I gave up on the backrest. The seat is much more comfortable without it

Top Bottom