Rear Brake noise??

Hey, question for whoever has some input, my 2012 ST1300 with around 20k has developed a rotational rear brake noise approx 500kms after I installed new tires and new oem rear pads. The noise is like a rotational groaning noise at low speeds, starts happening after the first couple of stops, so when the brakes are warmed up. I narrowed it down to the rear brake by riding it briefly and then parking it on the centre stand and spinning the rear by hand. Noise goes away as soon as I put any pressure on the rear caliper with my hand. Also noticed the inboard brake pad looks like it’s wearing a bit uneven, I’ll attempt to attach a picture. Appreciate any info guys thanks!!

Attachments

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Sounds like your pads are not properly seated in the spring pad

2DB9BB02-964D-4BE9-AF23-B9DA3A95826E.jpeg

There are two little tabs or lips on the spring pad. I’ve circled them in the photo. You must ensure that the new pad tabs are installed inside these (so to the right in the picture) ensuring proper seating and movement of the pad.

Check this first.

OP
OP
Hondatechnut12
Hey, question for whoever has some input, my 2012 ST1300 with around 20k has developed a rotational rear brake noise approx 500kms after I installed new tires and new oem rear pads. The noise is like a rotational groaning noise at low speeds, starts happening after the first couple of stops, so when the brakes are warmed up. I narrowed it down to the rear brake by riding it briefly and then parking it on the centre stand and spinning the rear by hand. Noise goes away as soon as I put any pressure on the rear caliper with my hand. Also noticed the inboard brake pad looks like it’s wearing a bit uneven, I’ll attempt to attach a picture. Appreciate any info guys thanks!!

There are two little tabs or lips on the spring pad. I’ve circled them in the photo. You must ensure that the new pad tabs are installed inside these (so to the right in the picture) ensuring proper seating and movement of the pad.

Check this first.
Ok great, I’ll check that hopefullly tomorrow and I’ll post my verdict as soon as I know.

Thanks

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Check the operation of your SMC on the front left caliper. It may be leaving your rear caliper squeezing the pads on the rotor. Lay down on the left side of the bike while it's on the centerstand, rotate the rear tire with your foot and hinge the SMC up. (below left front caliper) The tire should stop right away, then release the SMC, then you should be able to spin the tire right away.
For sure check the position of the pads on those clips, mentioned above.
Also, did you clean the rear caliper pistons before forcing them back into the caliper to install the new pads? If not, there might be contaminant/dirt/pad dust on them not letting them move freely.
Good luck...

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As said, check your SMC for safe/correct function, check your pistons and sliding dowels for smooth movement, make sure your pads are seated correctly.
Make sure your rear wheel install was done correctly, as the stopper plug MUST be tightened BEFORE you tighten the axle nut or you'll have dragging issues.
Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Hondatechnut12
As said, check your SMC for safe/correct function, check your pistons and sliding dowels for smooth movement, make sure your pads are seated correctly.
Make sure your rear wheel install was done correctly, as the stopper plug MUST be tightened BEFORE you tighten the axle nut or you'll have dragging issues.
Let us know what you find.
Hey guys thanks for the info, so this evening I checked the SMC and it works like it should ( wheel spins freely until the SMC is hinged up) then removed the caliper and pads and as far as I could tell the pads were seated correctly. I removed them completely and I found the spring clip was a tiny bit crooked so I positioned it where it’s suppose to be and re installed the pads. Slide dowels are lubricated properly and the caliper moves nicely on them. I reinstalled the wheel and followed the tightening sequence also which I believe I did the first crack at this but?? The pistons I cleaned with brake fluid the first time and they pushed in nicely also? Test rode the bike and after a few stops the noise was back?? Not sure what else to think other then I noticed the caliper rocks up and down on the lower slide dowel a fair bit like maybe 2mm. Is that normal? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried to attach a video of the caliper rocking from my iPhone but can’t seem to attach videos, only photos?

Thanks8592EEB2-058D-47BB-B6F7-C77188A4E3EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I believe you have to post your video on youtube and post a link here. That's one part of your question. Since you have one pad with a tapered wear pattern, I'd replace the rear pad set. I think the pistons will try to twist the caliper on the pins if you use those pads again. We have had problems with higher mileage bikes with wear on the caliper bracket where the stopper pin screws in. I really don't know if yout wear would have damaged anything else, but since you have a noise problem, I'd have pulled the caliper and looked it all over.

You might PM Igofar (put your cursor over his name under his avatar, click on start conversation). I'd say ask hin when you can call him since most calling plans in the US charge lots of $$$ for calls to Canada, but your calls to the US seem to be covered by your normal cell phone contract. Talk this over with the expert.

I'd say ask hin when you can call him since most calling plans in the US charge lots of $$$ for calls to Canada, but your calls to the US seem to be covered by your normal cell phone contract.
I just checked my Google Voice acct ... calls US to Canada are $0.00 USD per minute.

OP
OP
Hondatechnut12
I believe you have to post your video on youtube and post a link here. That's one part of your question. Since you have one pad with a tapered wear pattern, I'd replace the rear pad set. I think the pistons will try to twist the caliper on the pins if you use those pads again. We have had problems with higher mileage bikes with wear on the caliper bracket where the stopper pin screws in. I really don't know if yout wear would have damaged anything else, but since you have a noise problem, I'd have pulled the caliper and looked it all over.

You might PM Igofar (put your cursor over his name under his avatar, click on start conversation). I'd say ask hin when you can call him since most calling plans in the US charge lots of $$$ for calls to Canada, but your calls to the US seem to be covered by your normal cell phone contract. Talk this over with the expert.
Ok sounds good appreciate it.

Thanks

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just checked my Google Voice acct ... calls US to Canada are $0.00 USD per minute.
Last I checked, my calls to Canada on my Verizon cell plan cost $3.00/NYminute. :rofl1: I've heard that you can call for free anywhere in the world via Whats app and other applications, but I always get hung up on the privacy statement. That is indeed a misnomer - their statement, or contract with you says you have NO privacy.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
You should check the sliding "pins" to ensure they are not cross-threaded which will position the entire caliper unit at a slight angle. It will lead to uneven wear on the pads and lots of problems in general. I had this happen to me after I had removed the pin from the bracket

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Last I checked, my calls to Canada on my Verizon cell plan cost $3.00/NYminute. :rofl1: I've heard that you can call for free anywhere in the world via Whats app and other applications, but I always get hung up on the privacy statement. That is indeed a misnomer - their statement, or contract with you says you have NO privacy.
An argument can be made that these apps provide more privacy than a traditional land-line or cell phone. The calls are encrypted end to end with these apps at least. They are not with land-line and cell phone calls, and every call made in the US and much of the world is recorded and data mined by the US intelligence apparatus. Nobody is listening in unless what you say meets a certain thresh-hold, but there is no such thing as a truly private call with a land-line or cell phone.

Greetings from Finland!
I googled this problem, found this forum/post and fixed my rear brake in no time.

Top Bottom