rear brake pedal & front brake disc cold.

OP
OP
papalon
Hi all. I took it to a local bike garage & they had a look at it & said, wait for this. This place as a riding school as well & the instructor as a pan european & he just come in after a long ride & his left disc was cold & the right 1 was hot. So they are saying they can not find the problem. So check ya front disc & see if this is true hahahaha. This place av not got the diagnostic plug for the pan. This place is called millaian motorcycles @ St. Helens.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Take a ride to my office around 4:30pm - 5pm today. Short ride with me to near the tunnel entrance, and we'll compare side by side. If you come round the back & call me, it'll take me 5 mins to come down & let you through the security gate while I get ready.

Note that my discs are currently warped, and I'm waiting for parts, but they'll either both be warm or both be cold.

I'll take a quick visual inspection for you before we set off.

Can't fix it for you, but might shed some light on it.

Bike
VStrom 650
Good luck with the fix Papalon, I'd take AdHom up on his offer.
Personally I think Blackpool Honda have no interest because they know they will get screwed by the insurers who back the warranty and will make little from the repair, they also probably know you are unlikely to use them much going forward. With regards paying for diagnostics it's the norm, I think it's £105.00 plus vat at BMW car franchises but free if you have their warranty.
Hope you're riding with confidence soon.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
papalon
Take a ride to my office around 4:30pm - 5pm today. Short ride with me to near the tunnel entrance, and we'll compare side by side. If you come round the back & call me, it'll take me 5 mins to come down & let you through the security gate while I get ready.

Note that my discs are currently warped, and I'm waiting for parts, but they'll either both be warm or both be cold.

I'll take a quick visual inspection for you before we set off.

Can't fix it for you, but might shed some light on it.
Hi, ok cheers. Should i come down by moorefields train st? Cheers. Everyone on here will be checking there discs now hahahha. Is right tho. Take care.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi, ok cheers. Should i come down by moorefields train st? Cheers. Everyone on here will be checking there discs now hahahha. Is right tho. Take care.
I'll PM you directions to the gate. :)

OP
OP
papalon
Hi, dont no if you getting my pm? Sending it threw ya phone # message. Me wait for u outside. Dont wont to go inside hahaha.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Update on this, as I know the experienced members here like to hear outcomes. Even though this is a partial one.

Papalon met me at my office, and both bikes side by side the issue is obvious. The front right brake pads have worn quicker than the left, though they have plenty of life left in them. I also did a quick roadside check of the SMC/PCV, no issues evident there. When lifting the front tyre & spinning by hand, there's an audible difference between left & right calipers (also more noise than my bike makes).

A 5min ride in stop/go traffic with him following me confirmed that the right disc warms quicker than the left, conclusion is a binding right caliper.

I've suggested he books the bike in for a strip & clean of the calipers. While in truth it's a simply DIY job, if the bike is under warranty & there's a chance of getting it done for free... that's the route I'd take.

I'd wager that pulling the pads & doing the shoelace trick on the right caliper pistons would solve it. It doesn't appear to be as bad as an over extended piston warping the seals etc. Probably no need to change fluid (though I didn't check, but the bike does have recent service history including fluids).

All in, less than 30mins to diagnose without any tools... not sure why a garage couldn't ID it, though it is slight, so possible they overlooked it without a test ride.

He also spotted some farkles on my bike that he liked...

Finally, @papalon - as I'm sure you've seen in PM now, my apologies, I gave you the wrong phone number originally, that's why you couldn't get in touch. :doh1: It's correct on the RAN list though.

OP
OP
papalon
Update on this, as I know the experienced members here like to hear outcomes. Even though this is a partial one.

Papalon met me at my office, and both bikes side by side the issue is obvious. The front right brake pads have worn quicker than the left, though they have plenty of life left in them. I also did a quick roadside check of the SMC/PCV, no issues evident there. When lifting the front tyre & spinning by hand, there's an audible difference between left & right calipers (also more noise than my bike makes).

A 5min ride in stop/go traffic with him following me confirmed that the right disc warms quicker than the left, conclusion is a binding right caliper.

I've suggested he books the bike in for a strip & clean of the calipers. While in truth it's a simply DIY job, if the bike is under warranty & there's a chance of getting it done for free... that's the route I'd take.

I'd wager that pulling the pads & doing the shoelace trick on the right caliper pistons would solve it. It doesn't appear to be as bad as an over extended piston warping the seals etc. Probably no need to change fluid (though I didn't check, but the bike does have recent service history including fluids).

All in, less than 30mins to diagnose without any tools... not sure why a garage couldn't ID it, though it is slight, so possible they overlooked it without a test ride.

Finally, @papalon - as I'm sure you've seen in PM now, my apologies, I gave you the wrong phone number originally, that's why you couldn't get in touch. :doh1: It's correct on the RAN list though.
Hi, thanks so much for your kind help & advice. Will check with woods motorcycles tomorrow & let you all no how I got on. Thank you so much, cheers.

OP
OP
papalon

Hi, just booked it into woods for friday. £78 hr wow ahhahahha, never mind hay.

OP
OP
papalon
Hi all. Just to let all d happy riders no that i had a excellent ride to woods in wales then ride to snowdonia & the area. Wow amazing place. I av a friend who was helping out in this great self catering place called woodlands centre. Helps the youth & every one become a part ov nature. Amazing set up. Www.woodlandscentre.com
Well the honda tec guy from woods was a top man. The welcome from the staff from woods was well worth the ride there. This is going to be me place were i go to from now on. Am so happy that i av found a place that is genuine & honest & the vibe i picked up was brilliant wow. The honda tec said my red devil is one of the cleanest & paper work excellent he could not stop complementing her. He could not find a problem with the Caliper he said everything is fine. She rides excellent & he very happy about her. I am so happy wow. All the worry & stress & bull ***** from other garages hahahaha. Happy i found a gaff i can trust wow. The last service were d red devil went was the place were the honda tec use to work hahahaha. Its was funny. I would recommend woods motorcycles all day long whooooohoooo. Dont no how to share some photos of the mountains how lovely they are hahahah. Happy riding brothers & sisters. Take it easy. Gud luck.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Always nice to be able to ride without worry.
I am curious however. In your first post you wrote- Me front, left side disc is all ways cold & the right 1 is hot.
When you state that all is fine does that mean that both discs are about the same temperature now? If so, what has changed if they did not do anything?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
I am curious however. In your first post you wrote- Me front, left side disc is all ways cold & the right 1 is hot.
When you state that all is fine does that mean that both discs are about the same temperature now?
I'm curious also. If one disc were 'always cold' and the 'hot', I wouldn't consider it normal. Do your stopping distances seem normal - not excessive?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
@papalon, as said to you separately, I'm glad to see the place I recommended behaved the way I would have expected them to - nothing done, no charge, and bags of customer service.

According to the guys there, mine was the only Pan they have seen for a while, given there's a Honda shop a few miles away. (There's a reason I didn't recommend them & don't take my bike to them). Now yours will make two that they'll be seeing again.

In your first post you wrote- Me front, left side disc is all ways cold & the right 1 is hot.
When you state that all is fine does that mean that both discs are about the same temperature now?
While I wasn't there at the shop, and didn't want to comment before a qualified mechanic looked over it - the issue is so slight it's practically a non-issue.

Yes, the right caliper is binding, yes there's a temp difference after 5 mins riding in traffic, but if it were my bike, I'd ride it until the pads wore low & needed changing, then clean the pistons at the same time as changing the pads.

Knowing the guys at the chosen garage, I would wager that they test rode it, pulled the pads & had a good look with the bike on a lift, and decided that it's nothing to worry about. Then they didn't charge for the piece of mind.

OP
OP
papalon
0974BA1E-8E79-4571-910D-05B0416D9579.jpegB461E0FA-5E27-4942-8571-C8D8BFC1F7D7.jpegFC02115E-2C22-42F0-A925-5D0FC479639F.jpegBCFD0C82-09B4-4E4F-BBBF-249111F93DD7.jpeg3BC002C0-7065-434A-89A5-AFC4EF43C91A.jpeg499B616D-C686-4D46-8276-CB9B8E2D9C47.jpegECB97472-184B-4BBD-B8ED-B897775681AE.jpeg02B290EA-B4DF-4FFF-BB6A-ADA8A57B59A5.jpeg6D9B1FD9-5B18-472A-BB89-134881D67489.jpegFB1EE6DF-1099-46D5-853A-FE0827BE2A41.jpeg395F6460-41B0-4318-9C94-FA5892AF7776.jpeg28DCDA99-6422-4C40-ABDE-1C8D7B717DA3.jpeg81EDA561-6004-48D6-B3D6-F31A732EB6F3.jpegEE5E1039-6CD4-4E82-A3FB-D4D8421806C3.jpeg
Always nice to be able to ride without worry.
When you state that all is fine does that mean that both discs are about the same temperature now? If so, what has changed if they did not do anything?
The tec guy said he could not see a problem. I forgot to check them wen i got home hahahha. I will let yous all no after my next ride. I fealt them at chester service st & they were the same cold not hot. Maybe she just needed a gud ride out mmmmm. I wont forget next time hahahha. I was just so happy & feel like a new man after being around mother nature. She sure does do amazing things to ya soul & sprit, gud old mother nature & her best hahahaha.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Funny, there's some pics of a red 02 ST1300 on this site, parked in the EXACT location yours was (South of Snowdon, North of Bedgellert).

Shame that the ice cream shop in Bedgellert had closed down, but there's a decent pub around the corner with good grub.

My usual area for a ride, feel free to shout if you want to "check the brakes" around there.

OP
OP
papalon
That is a very smart looking bike. What did you say, 12,000 miles ? Very nice. It looks as though it has spent most of its life in someone's front room.

Glad the brakes were nothing to worry about and you have found a dealer who cares more about his customers than most.

Loved the pictures - recognised most of them straight away - except for location with the sand dunes. N Wales is an old stomping ground for me I rode the bike (with sidecar) all around Snowdonia in the mid 70s when I wasn't canoeing the rivers, walking the hills and climbing the rock faces. Beautiful place when it isn't busy and when the rain isn't raining.

I re-discovered how much I used to like it last year. We stayed in Harlech for a few days - Easter Bank Holiday 2019. Took a ride round which included going from Capel Curig to Beddgelert, down the Nant Gwynant Pass - exactly the road that you went on. The top of the pass was heaving, the road lined on both sides of the summit of the pass with parked cars. The local parking wardens were having a field day, spoiling people's days when they returned to their car. I guess that the owners didn't notice the clearway signs or the solid white line in the middle of the road. There was a team of wardens ticketing the lot of them.

This taken from the on board video - just below the top of the pass heading towards Beddgelert. Bullet camera clipped under the end of the right hand wing mirror.

View attachment 249852
Happy rising brother john hahahha.
Yes 12,500 miles hahhaha. 10yr old, all service history stamps in book & £2000 spent on her, in her life. The last service cost the chap £500. She as had a mottogp ceramic coat £124 & lasts 3yrs. So after a ride out, squirt water over her & a nice shammy like cloth. A hikers sweat towel i use hahahha. Thats why she always gleaming.
The photo with the sand dunes is in southport at the side of pointins. nice photo that hahhaha.
John I rode a bit down that rd out of curiosity haha, but the wind & low grey clouds & me taking care of me m8s whippet back home i would of went all the way. hahahhah.
So got up to, just before the bend were ya can see the peaks, right down that rd, were the rd bends right & disappears hahahha. I would of ended up still riding now hahahhahaa. Good job I did turn back because, the rds were full of mud were the farmers have been cutting all the edgers back, so would of been a night mare in the dark. The bike rode excellent, what a pleasure she is. I felt like a new man & more energy & was very happy when i got home. Its amazing what mother nature can do hahhaaha. My friend was helping out at the woodlands centre at betws-y-coed ll25 oad. So i rode out after seeing her accomodation & just dident wont to stop hahhaha. What a place & the view from her gaff wow. Whould love to be there, when it snows wow, be spectacular hahhaha.
Av a nice, relaxed chilled weekend & enjoy are selfs hahaha.
John you must still be a healthy man? & i hope you still walking & swimming? There the main exercisers i think we all need to do more of hahahahah.
Take care & may the highest power give us all riders health & saftey riding yahman whooooohoooooo.

OP
OP
papalon
Funny, there's some pics of a red 02 ST1300 on this site, parked in the EXACT location yours was (South of Snowdon, North of Bedgellert).

Shame that the ice cream shop in Bedgellert had closed down, but there's a decent pub around the corner with good grub.

My usual area for a ride, feel free to shout if you want to "check the brakes" around there.
Happy rising ad.hom hahaha. Bet you the weather is bad there today now? Its gale force here wow.
Is Bedgellert were the queens gold comes from? There is a place in wales were its got cctv all over it & ya can never pan for gold there hahahaha. I would love to do some panning for gold there hahahaha. Even metal detecting hahahha. In my dreams will be better, Just stick to riding the red devil when i can hahahahha.
Cheers for your help & every 1s advice its been amazing journey wow & I have found a place that as stolen my heart, snowdonia i love you hahahhaha.
Take care bro. Gud luck to us all whoooohoooo yahman hahahha. peace, love & ride outs hahhaha & rock & roll hahahha.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
when the rain isn't raining.
Lies. I've been here 16years, the rain never stops. I ride with a one piece rain suit in the top box in case it's torrential.
So got up to, just before the bend were ya can see the peaks, right down that rd, were the rd bends right & disappears
Shame you missed the lake at the bottom of the hill...
IMG_20181227_132324.jpg

Top Bottom