Rear Brakes Now Dragging

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Use of the foot pedal activates the front centre pistons via the linked system, and hence the SMC and the two outer pistons on the rear.......

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yes, but it also clears the SMC in the cylinder when it is stuck.
Which is why I recommended a Tow truck as the first option.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I picked up a used caliper for $51 on ebay (including the mount and shipping). Figured I'd try rebuilding it and see how it does. If I screw it up, I'll still have my original! :eek::

Bike
'10 ST1300
STOC #
My SMC failed with less than 12K miles on it. Dealer replaced it. So far so good as I have detected no rear brake dragging. Everyone once in a while, sitting in traffic or whatever, I turn the wheel to the right, look down thru the fork passage and with front brake applied put some pressure on the brake with the engine... you can see the SMC move forward and relax when pressure is removed... I couldnt really see the original SMC move either forward or relax. So when the SMC hangs up, it does not necessarily mean the front brakes are dragging, it just means that the piston is not being allowed to move freely. Most likely due to corrosion of the piston rod. When mine was dragging very heavily, I would stop and kind of force the SMC towards the back of the bike, the rear wheel would then free up. YMMV

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Good News, bike is back in garage all fixed. Dealer replaced complete front calipers and smc along with a replacing rear brake calipers, test rode for 40 miles, brakes are working great. big kudos to the dealer for taking care of this problem.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Good News, bike is back in garage all fixed. Dealer replaced complete front calipers and smc along with a replacing rear brake calipers, test rode for 40 miles, brakes are working great. big kudos to the dealer for taking care of this problem.
What dealer, Mark? Where in Florida?

Top Bottom