Rear caliper locking up

Bike
ST 1300 - 2010
Recently I took a 3000 mile loop from Costa Rica north through Nicaragua, Honduras, Salvador, Guatemala and back.

in Honduras I hit a pothole that dislodged a filling and stripped the threads out of the smaller rear caliper securing alignment pin. The one with the locknut.

I drove it back home listening to it clacking and as I pulled into the farm the rear brake locked up.

I bought a new rear caliper as well as the aluminum support as the hole was no longer round in the support arm.

after installation of the new parts the rear caliper locked up again.

any ideas?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Many instances of the SMC (secondary master cylinder) on the left front caliper needing rebuilding or replacement. With the ST's linked braking system, improper function of the SMC will cause the rear brake to come on.
Also could be due to peripheral damage done near the rear caliper.

Lots of threads here on it. I expect Igofar (our resident ST whisperer) will post shortly with a lot more info.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Go to the blue band atop this page. Click on Articles > 1300 and read up on the brake system and how to fix it. You can also go to the search box - right end of blue band, click on it and search for 'Secondary master cylinder' or '1300 brakes'.

Top Bottom