Rear shock preload

Bike
ST1300
Mine needs a bit of maintenance,couple of very good videos on YouTube regarding cleaning it & refilling it…….
Question ….
which oil needs to go back into it please?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Any mineral oil.

Don't lose the little ball bearing that gives you the 'click' or detent every half turn. Spread an old sheet on your work table - better yet, a clean light colored towel, and take the preload apart on that surface. When the ball drops out, or is pushed out by the spring, it will not roll far.

When I did mine, I removed the bolts at the top of the hanger, then loosened the banjo bolt and removed the hose from the unit. Then I could take the preload assembly to my workbench for disassembly.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
What they said.

When I serviced mine after @Igofar tipped me off that it might need servicing (mind you, the bike had less than 4,000 miles on it at the time) the interior of the adjuster was loaded with white schmoo like less lumpy cottage cheese. Against his directions (sorry Larry) I used brake cleaner to flush out the remote adjuster, running the piston in and out several times until it 'ran clean'. Then I filled with jack oil and again and ran the adjuster in and out several times except this time with the system reassembled so I could flush out the bad oil that remained in the hydraulic line and the collar around the shock. I recall doing this at least three times before I was happy that the oil was clean.

It's been working perfectly since.

I did the flush/clean out maintenance, refilled with jack oil and worked perfectly. Before the service I had to turn it almost all the way in before any resistance. Just checked it today.... it is going WAY down again, and no sign of a leak? There WAS a tiny bit of oil sheen/coverage on the knob but NO sign of a leak. What tha? Does this thing need new seals/o-rings or what? Anyone had similar problem?? Serviced it about 3 or 4 months ago...

Top Bottom