Rear shock spring specification?

I'm looking to upgrade the shock spring only (cannot afford to go the whole hog) as I think a number of you have already done. I want a heavier/stiffer spring to cope with 2 up with luggage riding (although in truth only 20% of my riding is 2 up).
Can anyone give me the specification of an appropriate spring so that I can go get one? I'm aware of the hyperpro spring but a dealer told me that that spring is a direct replacement. Any help gratefully recieved. If there is a dealer in the states I can get to ship one to the UK I'll also consider that.
thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe a 900 lb spring is stock and many owners upgrade to a 1300 lb spring if they are heavier or ride two up alot. You may check with Hagon there in the UK. There is a US distributor that brings in Hagon shocks with an upgraded spring. It is possible Hagon sells the spring alone? In the US Race Tech and Hyperpro are popular spring upgrades.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff,

I have visited RT site before and had them rebuild my OEM rear shock 15,000 miles ago. While I do not doubt their recommendations I am curious about the rear spring recommendation for my weight. Free sag and rider sag numbers indicate the stock spring is a good choice for my weight and riding load. If your Showa preload adjuster works good, ie., starts adding preload after a couple of clicks, how much preload does the 1200 lb shock take for your weight?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've got the preload screwed in maybe 4 turns?? I haven't had anyone over to check the sag (can't seem to get it by myself) so I've tuned it where I like the feel. Race Tech re-filled the preload adjuster when the revalved the shock and installed the new spring.

With gear on my weight is in the 230 range (I'm working on that though)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One thing I did with the OEM shock and again after RT revalved mine was to calibrate sag to the preload adjuster so I could repeat settings. It does take help to measure and record the sag. You can do it with one other person if you have a sturdy wheel chock. My daughter helped me. I weigh about 155 without gear, 180 with, and I take a little more for normal solo riding - 12 to 16 clicks or 6 to 8 turns of the adjuster. This setting will give about 30 mm static sag and about 7 or 8 mm free sag. I like it best between 25 and 30 mm - I raised the front ride height when I changed the stock fork preload so less rear sag helps sharpen the relaxed frame geometry from losing 11 mm sag in the forks.

The thing I was curious about is that Race Tech's Paul Thede's article on spring rates http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9510_tech/index.html indicates the stock spring is good for me. The one recommended on the RT site would be about 30% stiffer and another light rider that went with that spring felt it was much to harsh so I opted to retain stock. It works for me but I realize alot of ST riders two up and I never do.

OP
OP
thanks for the comments/advice and I'll speak to hagon. However, if I'm going to speak to a 'spring maker' what details do I need to give them other than asking for a 1200lb for a pan euro??

Top Bottom