Rear Shock w/ Remote

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Yay! A package from Alf's people just showed up for my 1100 last night:

I hope this is a noticeable upgrade. My bike has over 63k miles and I have no idea when/if the shock has ever been replaced.

I did some looking around, but didn't find any examples of mounting the remote. Anyone have anything to show off or suggestions? I hope to have time this weekend to install it, so maybe something will be obvious but figured I'd ask. I have a lathe and mill standing by for extra creativity if needed, and I'm quite handy brazing steel at thinner gauges, so anything is possible.

Trvmtchll

Site Supporter
Bike
1995 ST-1100
STOC #
iv got the exact one coming from across the pond as we speak... iv heard good things about it. @sirepair has his mounted and i believe some photo of his mount on here as well

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Pat did this on his 2003, I did something similar.

I’m trying to find a picture of mine, I’ll take a new one tomorrow.
Edit: I added my crude bracket attachment for the remote. It’s my winter project to fabricate a better bracket

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smudgemo

Smudgemo

Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Interesting. I hadn't even considered an external mount as an option. Figured I'd need to remove the side case, but I like this idea. I am back and forth all the time with my daughters, so I'm even thinking of modifying the knob in some manner or creating a spanner that will allow me to do the adjustment with a battery powered drill. It takes a bunch of turns to go from lock to lock, so why not?

OP
OP
Smudgemo

Smudgemo

Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I had about an hour to kill before the game today, so I figured it couldn't be too tough to install the shock, so I did.

I haven't had time to mount the remote yet, but I did get a chance to go ride for 15 minutes or so in the neighborhood before the next game. I must say, even just going 30mph or less, very noticeable. I'm looking forward to grabbing one of my passengers and seeing what the difference is. I believe the shock I removed is OEM based on the label. No way to know how many miles are on it, but I suppose if I'm the fourth owner and the bike has 63K miles, it's as likely as not that it's the original. Adios.

Top Bottom