Rear spring removal

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I have the rear shock sitting on my bench. Cant see how that thing comes apart...I got my new rear spring ready for install.. Help thanks...

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Take it to a local dealer with a press for a few bucks and five minutes they can do it safely for you . Veery easy with a press and a allen wrench , did you forget to buy a shop manual before disassembly ???

Bike
2004 st1300
I made this to compress springs on my Harley fork spring. I don' know if it'll work in your application or not. Maybe someone more familiar with the ST's shock spring can off an adaptation.

fork_spring_clamp_001_Medium_.jpg

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
There's a retaining ring under the preload adjuster slave cylinder. You will have to push the cylinder downward, compressing the spring to reveal it. There's also a set screw, I think intended to prevent the adjuster from rotating.

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Race tech is sending me there there spring and collar. I got a st shock off ebay for 50.00 to rebuild so i dont have any down time if i mess up..I own a manual and i own a spring compressor....Tool wise i am good...Just could not see how this came apart...So when i compress the pring there is a retainer clip and set scraw ....Okay ill get back to you all..Guys thank you...

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Gene as i has stated i did not see how this came apart. The manual i have does not show the spring being taken apart. It does how ever show the spring being removed from the bike....Gene thats why i asked the question. I hope that answers your question......Why...Now if you have any more questions you can come to Pa and do the job if you like...Your a short drive away...3.5 hours...You could do the spring and be back home before dinner....

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Well I have to say I appologize , I was wrong after double checking the manual doesn't tell you about the collar setscrew and retainer clip, we had so many threads and post the other year about this I got confused agai sorry .

But please use a press that thing is dangerous otherwise .

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I sent it to the shop today. With this weather i dont have the time to do he job. They called me today saying they cant figure it out.How to compress the spring and what size allen to use on the set screw..Friend its all good. hope to meet you one day...

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #
You might want to mark on the shock body with a sharpie pen the location of the set screw or the preload adjuster hose so you won't be guessing where it goes when you remove the spring and the collar moves or you remove it.

Sonny

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I sent it to the shop today. With this weather i dont have the time to do he job. They called me today saying they cant figure it out.How to compress the spring and what size allen to use on the set screw..Friend its all good. hope to meet you one day...
If they can't figure that out, I'd start looking for another shop! It ain't rocket surgery!

OP
OP

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Ill pick up the shock tomorrow and send it another shop....Ill be working 14 hour shifts for the next 5 weeks....The spring compressor i have will not work..

Top Bottom