Rear wheel alignment out!

Hi guys! Been along time since my last!
Interesting problem. I've owned my ST1100 Pan for a while and she's never let me down. A 96 AT. I heard a squeeking coming from the rear wheel and found the tyre making contact with the swing arm! Looking from the rear, the gap on the left is about 30mm and 0 on the right between the tyre and swing arm.
I haven't removed the rear wheel recently and the axle is not loose. As a shafty, how can this be?
I dabble in mechanics a bit and this one has me flummoxed! Any ideas?

Bike
VStrom 650
Hi guys! Been along time since my last!
Interesting problem. I've owned my ST1100 Pan for a while and she's never let me down. A 96 AT. I heard a squeeking coming from the rear wheel and found the tyre making contact with the swing arm! Looking from the rear, the gap on the left is about 30mm and 0 on the right between the tyre and swing arm.
I haven't removed the rear wheel recently and the axle is not loose. As a shafty, how can this be?
I dabble in mechanics a bit and this one has me flummoxed! Any ideas?
The flap on the swingarm on the offside corrodes, it then swells with the rust pushing it towards the tyre.
Different manufacturers tyres of the same size can actually differ in width too.
Take the wheel out and I think you'll see the offending unwelded flap. If it's still solid enough scrape out the shite, hammer it flat and paint, it can all be done with the swingarm in situ. But make sure you give the rest of it a good looking at.
Upt.
"They all do that sir".

OP
OP
JamesHS
The flap on the swingarm on the offside corrodes, it then swells with the rust pushing it towards the tyre.
Different manufacturers tyres of the same size can actually differ in width too.
Take the wheel out and I think you'll see the offending unwelded flap. If it's still solid enough scrape out the shite, hammer it flat and paint, it can all be done with the swingarm in situ. But make sure you give the rest of it a good looking at.
Upt.
"They all do that sir".
Thanks Upt!
That's a first for me! I'll pop her on my lift and have a butchers! When I got her about 10yrs ago I whipped out the swing arm and had it welded and powder coated. Might be time for a revisit!
I'll let you know!

OP
OP
JamesHS
Upt.
"They all do that sir".
You were bang on! Opened it up, scrapped out the crap, treated it and filled with seam sealant till after the summer when I'll get it welded and repainted.
Thanks!!

OP
OP
JamesHS
Known for our all year round riding in all weather!
When I first got her and coated the swing arm I also cut a mudflap from a car floorwell mat. Done a great job of keeping the crap out of the shock and bearings and the top of the swing arm.
A bit Heath Robinson but as we said in the Army 'Improvise, adapt, overcome!'

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Too late for this late in the day, but there are a couple of oil holes on the underside of the swing arm. Some people may think of them as exhaust holes to let out expanding gasses when welding. Some may think of them as drain holes. But I know I am correct for the ones that I have owned. Pour some oil in, swill it around so it gets everywhere, and then hang it up to drain. It is not going to reach the cross members, but it gets to many more places than it would if you didn't do it. :)

A bit Heath Robinson ...
I've still not met Robinson.

Top Bottom