Recient cross country shipping cost

Bike
'04 ST1300
I am looking to ship my ST1300 from California to Pennsylvania. I would love to ride but I'm changing jobs and just don't have the time off.

I recently shipped my car and it was a horrible experience. It seems like every shipper you find in a search is a broker and you get CRUSHED with calls, texts, emails, etc.

I'm looking to get a quote from someone that an ST-owner recommends. Suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

-Don

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

https://funtransport.com/

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Although it was over 10 years ago I had a good experience shipping a sidecar from FL to AZ with Federal Motorcycle Transport. At that time they operated their own fleet of trailers equipped with pallets designed to support and tie down a motorcycle or in my case a sidecar. I would not want my motorcycle on a one size fits all pallet in the middle of 20 pallets of oil drilling equipment or wedged between loose bundles of copper pipe but that is what brokers do. They buy space from regular route carriers because they get the lowest freight rate then resell the space on the trailer to you. They have a phone and a computer and never touch or see your vehicle. The brokered motorcycle carrier has no control over how the motorcycle is loaded and transported. Because of the sporadic and irregular nature of motorcycle shipping a dedicated motorcycle transport company will probably only have drop off or short term warehouse locations in major cities or sited on the routes between major cities. For a few thousand motorcycles a year they can't afford to or are allowed to run a semi to every zip code location in the USA. The bike is held there at a drop off warehouse until the next Federal (or whoever) truck comes through to pick up waiting motorcycles, sort of like a city bus route only on a national scale. The short line pick up and delivery causes shipping companies to subcontract or broker pick up or delivery from smaller towns to large regional or national carriers that have service to all communities large and small in a large area so ask question about connecting service if you are not located in large urban area near US highways or interstates. I was in the trucking business from 1983 to 2022 except for the year of 2018 when I was out of the industry.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd suggest you get personal referrals - like @dduelin's, rather than what a google or website search turned up. While I don't dispute the value of the latter, the best info will come from recent uses of a given company...everything seems to change too quickly nowadays. Maybe pose your question on other websites, too?

Top Bottom