Recommendations for riding from Sarnia to Cheboygan

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I am trying to plan a trip around Lake Huron and one part will take us from Sarnia to Cheboygan. From there we will take the Mackinac bridge to Sault St Marie and then around to Manitoulin Island. I plan to camp with my wife on the west side of Lake Erie but are there any sights, or decent spots to eat along the water?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 vfr800
Lots of places to eat ,small town food stands . If you like fish yellow perch is great and tons of neat stuff to see along the lakeshore .

Bike
04 ST1300
I am trying to plan a trip around Lake Erie and one part will take us from Sarnia to Cheboygan. From there we will take the Mackinac bridge to Sault St Marie and then around to Manitoulin Island. I plan to camp with my wife on the west side of Lake Erie but are there any sights, or decent spots to eat along the water?

Thanks
I think you must mean Lake Huron and if so, according to google maps, it is pretty simple. I-69 to I-75 will pretty much take you to Sault St Marie (About 350 miles). I have not done any camping in the area but have ridden almost the same route coming from Sault St Marie to the Chicago area via Burton, MI. There are plenty of good places to chow along that route. You will not be disappointed in that respect. While I did not camp, there are also plenty of campsites in Michigan.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Yea - Sounds like great ride.
Bridge is awesome.
Sheboygan is in WIS. on the western
shore of Lake Mich. Kind of out of Ur
way for doing Lake Erie.
But U'll find plenty of great stops along any of the Great Lakes shorelines.

OK -- Saw the change to HURON.
Great '- Enjoy the ride.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I’ve ridden the coast from mackinaw city to bay city, nice scenic ride, can’t go wrong.
I don’t notice places to eat much as I pack and prepare enroute, however, there is a place well worth going an hour off the northern part of the route to see and eat. The guy that opened this place was some sort of renaissance man. Pick up anything and make art out of it. And he picked lots of things. White guy made chief by local Indians. Everybody liked him.
You will not be waiting for your food because there is so much to look at while your food is cooking.
Hungarian Polish Eastern European food. My question for the cook had to be translated from English to Hungarian then to Polish and back.
Beautiful place inside and out.

Bike
04 ST1300
Yea - Sounds like great ride.
Bridge is awesome.
Sheboygan is in WIS. on the western
shore of Lake Mich. Kind of out of Ur
way for doing Lake Erie.
But U'll find plenty of great stops along any of the Great Lakes shorelines.

OK -- Saw the change to HURON.
Great '- Enjoy the ride.
There is a Cheboygan, MI and a Sheboygan, WI. He is talking about the former.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Manitoulin Island is beautiful and somewhat unique...but many of the roads (especially towards the western side) can easily be confused with runways (i.e. flat and straight). If you have the time I'd recommend riding a little farther east and enjoy the scenery and twisties in the Muskoka region. Multiple OnSTOCS have been hosted in the region and if you are travelling in early September you can join us for this year's edition.

If you do go to Manitoulin Island Bridal Veil Falls, Gore Bay, and Mysery Bay are my favourite spots. Plus Providence Bay is nice. If you are taking the ferry south, be sure to make a reservation in advance! Then allow a little time to explore Tobermory when you exit the ferry. If you like chocolate, check out Sugar and Spice in Exeter as you head south.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Thanks Gizmo, I have ridden a lot of the roads in the Muskoka area before and have to been to a couple of ONSTOC events. After a discussion with "upper management", she has made the decision to stay in Ontario. :D. We will be doing a run over to the Goderich area and up to Tobermory and back through Kinmount area.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Thanks Gizmo, I have ridden a lot of the roads in the Muskoka area before and have to been to a couple of ONSTOC events. After a discussion with "upper management", she has made the decision to stay in Ontario. :D. We will be doing a run over to the Goderich area and up to Tobermory and back through Kinmount area.
I should have looked at your location before responding:doh1: Sorry about that.

Top Bottom