Red Light

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
They sell rare earth magnets you can stick to the bottom of your bike for those signals that work off underground wires that detect cars.
Spoiler, they don't work.

The inductive field systems need a good chunk of ferrous metal to pickup, which isn't something found on most mainly aluminum & plastic bikes.
So, perhaps add a large steel skid plate??

Can't offer much for the photo activated ones other than eat cake and get fat?

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have used the sidestand down technique with some success. While waiting just fold the sidestand down and being that it is closer to the wire loop sensor it triggers the light.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It is my understanding that if you wait a reasonable amount of time and the light does not change, you are legally allowed to drive forward through the red lite.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It is my understanding that if you wait a reasonable amount of time and the light does not change, you are legally allowed to drive forward through the red lite.
Depends on the jurisdiction.
Some jurisdictions, including some states, allow you to proceed through the red light after X number of cycles if it is safe to do so. Some do not. Rider beware!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Depends on the jurisdiction.
Some jurisdictions, including some states, allow you to proceed through the red light after X number of cycles if it is safe to do so. Some do not. Rider beware!
Our 'rules' say three missed light cycles. That aside, some lights will not cycle. In either case, you will have to plead your case with the officer. That's worked well......so far.
One thing I've been dealing with more often is the sheer number of drivers who have no idea what the fat stripe across your lane means (light cycle sensor is underneath) and I get yelled at for stopping in the crosswalk....which is six feet ahead and is marked all the way across the street.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I had some training on the system. A large unmarked box on one corner of the intersection contains the control unit. The sensitivity is adjustable by lane. Not sure who you would call to have it turned up (I worked at a university, they called me). They'll need the location, which approach and lane(s).
After a repaving, the light nearest my home no longer recognized my 480 lb V-strom. I saw the guys working at the box one day, pulled over and requested a bump up on the sensitivity. "At 100%" they said and it's worked 100% since.

Top Bottom