Reflective Tape Help, Please

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I use 3M Diamond Grade...
3M Diamond Grade prismatic film (otherwise known as Railroad spec reflective film, or SOLAS spec film) reflects significantly more light than the 680 spec film, but it is very difficult to work with unless you are applying it to a perfectly flat surface (for example, the side of a railway locomotive).

It is a very thick film that does not respond well to any attempts to heat it to make it conform to a surface with compound curves. For that reason, I don't think it is the best choice for our motorcycles unless the rider puts a very high priority on conspicuity, and even then it is only suitable for use on the rear face of ST 1300 saddlebags (it's not suitable for anywhere on the ST 1100). If you elect to use Diamond Grade film, be sure to purchase the 4090 specification, which adheres to plastic, and not the 4080 specification, which is intended for use on aluminum or plywood only.

Michael

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Reflective tape is good, but it's passive.
Extra lighting is better as it's active. It shows even if there are no lights on a vehicle to shine on you.

I'm not saying don't have reflective stuff, just don't overlook the possible more beneficial alternatives.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
3M Diamond Grade prismatic film (otherwise known as Railroad spec reflective film, or SOLAS spec film) reflects significantly more light than the 680 spec film, but it is very difficult to work with unless you are applying it to a perfectly flat surface (for example, the side of a railway locomotive).

It is a very thick film that does not respond well to any attempts to heat it to make it conform to a surface with compound curves. For that reason, I don't think it is the best choice for our motorcycles unless the rider puts a very high priority on conspicuity, and even then it is only suitable for use on the rear face of ST 1300 saddlebags (it's not suitable for anywhere on the ST 1100). If you elect to use Diamond Grade film, be sure to purchase the 4090 specification, which adheres to plastic, and not the 4080 specification, which is intended for use on aluminum or plywood only.

Michael
That what I used on my rear rim, VERY bright, but thick, and no, won't go around curves

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Yeah, I mean the red and yellow stripes don't even line up between the tail and bag sections. How do you even take that out of your garage?
Well, they sorta line up when viewed at a different angle - like being sat behind it in a car. ;)

I don't have a garage, so the whole world gets to enjoy its subtlety, LOL.

IMAG0013.jpg

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have some SOLAS tape on those plastic fork protector things and on my helmet. I like it a lot. Yep, very bright.

Top Bottom