Reinstall of exhaust pipe and gasket

Bike
2010 ST1300
Extra "clicks" on a torque set will not cause an exceedance of the recommended torque nor does it double, triple or quadruple the torque as some misguided mechanic tried to claim:think1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
That is incorrect. Unless the material being clamped by the fastener continues to deform over time, the fastener torque should be relatively static. I have set torque on many, many fasteners over the years, and rechecked either immediately or after a period of time. Unless something is amiss, the torque wrench should "break" or click and fastener should NOT move. If what you are claiming is true, then all the assemblies in service that require periodic torqueing would fail over time due to fastener failure. It just ain't so.

RT
Items that need to be retorqued - such as aluminum cable terminations, are done by loosening and using your torque wrench to the first click. The reason Al terminations are checked is to deal with cold flow, which should not happen if the torque was correct the first time.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Items that need to be retorqued - such as aluminum cable terminations, are done by loosening and using your torque wrench to the first click. The reason Al terminations are checked is to deal with cold flow, which should not happen if the torque was correct the first time.
There is always an exception to the rule, and you have picked a very specific one. Take lug nuts for example. Using allow wheels the recommendation is to torque to spec, and then re-check torque after 50 miles or so. I do this, and I have never, I mean never have had the fastener move. The wrench clicks, that's it. Same with checking cylinder head torque on engines that require it. Once they are torqued to spec, they don't seem to move. They recommend you check it, but I've never seen it change. Many of the pumps, motors, assemblies where I work are similar. But checking the torque with a wrench until it clicks has never resulted in a fastener moving. Wrench clicky? Oh yeah. Fastener moving, nope.

RT

Top Bottom