Removing exhaust from engine.

Hi All.

I'm replacing the exhaust and silencers of my 2000 ST1100. Is there a trick to removing the pipes from the engine? I've removed both heat shields, then removed the nuts that seem to hold the exhaust to the engine. Do they just slip out? I'm worried if I try to force them I'll damage something.

Thanks,

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
You need to remove the silencers, remove the clamp that joins the two 'sides' of the exhaust down pipes around the rear of the engine. The right hand side is smaller and is joined to the left with an exhaust clamp, and has to be removed first. Remove the clamp and twist the Right hand pipe back and forth to ease it away.

The left hand side has the collector attached, along with the ends into which both silencers fit. It is supported by a bracket and bolt up near the centre stand. That needs to be undone and removed. It will probably be completely rusted. Let it soak in something like PlusGas penetrating fluid, and use a 6 point socket, with a long breaker bar. Hammer the socket on if necessary to get a good fit. Hopefully it will turn, but my experience is that this thing will not undo, but it will shear. Thats ok, you would want to replace it anyway. That will allow the left hand side to be manoeuvred out.

While you are down there, with the exhaust off, take a look at the centre stand bolt - it slides into a long tube in the stand and it is impossible to get any lubrication in there without taking it off. And that is easier with the exhaust out of the way. Take it out, clean up the bolt and tube and grease it up with something that will stay put.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Been there. All bolted together, this is a very rigid assembly. Remove the bolt that fastens the collector to the frame just behind the kickstand and replace it with a zip tie. Loosen the clamps and remove the mufflers. It should come apart easily after that. Mine dropped right out of the head as the collar nuts were loosened.

Bike
2010 ST1300
On the 1300, the muffler gasket was a cylindrical, composition item that cost, iirc $30 USD. Maybe less, but it was what I consider to be expensive. The 1100 has something similar on the parts fiche, but it still costs $11 USD, so be careful removing your mufflers.

Top Bottom