Removing exhaust headers

Bike
2010 ST1300
This winter I'll be r&r'ing my center stand. In order to remove the stand's axle, the exhaust header on the right side has to come off.

Do I have to replace any exhaust gaskets or are the old ones reusable? IIRC, Honda calls for new 'sleeves' when you remove the mufflers to change a rear tire, and I think they cost $65 from a dealer. I reused these with no problems at all, but on previous bikes, the headers used cheap replaceable gaskets.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The exhaust gaskets need to be replaced, they are like a hollow copper doughnut that gets compressed when the headers are torqued in place. As i recall, they are not that expensive. Pre order them from the dealer, I wouldn't try to reuse them unless it is an emergency.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
How easy is to undo the 4 downpipes existing the head of the ST1300. I have done this on cars a number of times when I was a car mechanic many moons ago (and had some studs shear off) but have not done this on a bike as yet and was wondering what the chances are of a stud shearing when removing the headers. Anything to watch out for and tips greatly appreciated. Soaking in penetrating fluid in advance and using a 6 sided spanner/socket is a given I imagine.

Thanks,

Bob.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I like to spray penetrating oil on any and all exhaust fasteners every day, for several days in advance of any exhaust work on any vehicle. Ideally, I'll spray it on right after I've parked and the system is still very hot. I believe that the heat cycling of operating the vehicle and then spraying it several days in a row before the work does wonders in breaking things free. Its a bit stinky/smoky as the oil burns off each time you restart the engine, but this is a minor inconvenience. This process has worked very well for me in the past.

RT

Top Bottom