Replace rear brake pads on 2003 ST1300A ABS and now the the rear brake won't release.

garand44

Defending the Fort.
Bike
2003 St 1300A
I inherited a 2003 ST1300 with 16,000 odm. Been in storage for 8 years. A lot of work because of improper storage(gas in secondary tank). Fixed that and it ran like a top, put 950 miles on it, so I did a rear brake pad change and now the rear brake won't release. Pulled rear caliper, cleaned and inspected bores but looked just fine. Flushed the system 3x, twice with vacuum pump and 1 by the conventional method with the help of my friend who is a professional mechanic just be sure and it still locks up after you depress the foot pedal. Releases if you open a rear bleeder or the PCV bleeder. Any ideas on where to go next?

Welcome to the forum!

I had the same problem with my 2010 once...

2010 & SMC +

Look up SMC on the forum here and you will get a whole new education of the Linked Brake System of the ST1300.

SMC is the Secondary Master Cylinder mounted on the left front caliper....Like I said...Linked Brake System...

Here we go again :rofl1:
PM me a contact number and I'll call you on the white courtesy phone :WCP1: and see if I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Here we go again :rofl1:
PM me a contact number and I'll call you on the white courtesy phone :WCP1: and see if I can get you pointed in the right direction.
Haven't figured out the WCP1 but thanks for input on the problem, 1t's a 100 outside but want to get it running. 1ST. motorcycle in 40 years and I'm jazzed. 916-991-0678

How come there is no envelope by my name? If I put the cursor in the space though, a block does darken and if I click on it the conversation pane does come up. Also no alert symbol shows either. Same thing though, put cursor where it is supposed to be and click and the alert pane comes up.

Yes indeed and supper nice, informed guy. Got me on the right track. thanks for your help on navigation. I'm learning.

Haven't figured out the WCP1 but thanks for input on the problem, 1t's a 100 outside but want to get it running. 1ST. motorcycle in 40 years and I'm jazzed. 916-991-0678
Garrand44. Welcome and congrats on the bike. Hey nieghbor just down the river and levy roads from ya. I have a 2012 that igofar has gone over. Learned a ton from him.
Larry if he needs help your pad-wan (strong with force is he). will assist just live down the road and can be your eyes if needed.

I had this problem on a different Honda without linked braking. There's a small pressure bleed/return hole in the rear master cylinder that allows pressure applied to the caliper to bleed back to the reservoir when the pedal is released. In a bike that's been sitting or has not had its brake fluid changed regularly it's easy for this hole to become plugged up with gunk/precipitate. I disassembled the master cylinder and cleared that hole with a small piece of wire and compressed air, flushed everything out with fresh fluid, reassembled and refilled the system and the problem was fixed. Might as well fit new seals if you dig into it.

Check the fluid level in the rear master cylinder. If it was full with worn pads it's over full now unless you removed some. The brake should still release though.

Back
Top Bottom