Replace valve stems with simple tools, possible?

Bike
2010 ST1300A
I've picked up some TPMS caps. I have rubber valve stems and the tires are fairly new so it will be awhile before the next set. Do you guys think it is plausible to use a bar clamp to compress the tire away from one side of the rim enough to replace the stem with aluminum copies and then re-seat the tire, with the help of a ratchet strap around the tire if necessary?

Thanks,
Dave

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I think you can do it. I've seen it done on car tires. Not sure how much movement you will have with these stiff bike tires though, but give it a shot. Worst case, you have to reseat the bead and wait for a tire change.
Good luck.....

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I added the T valves that way on my ST13. Just break the bead at the point nearest the valve stem, remove the old valve stem and clean the area around the old valve stem, then insert the new metal valve stem and secure it as necessary. If you are installing the type the requires the nuts on the inside, I add a bit of blue Loctite.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whatever you do - beware the finger trap. You don't want there to be any risk at all of that tyre returning to its normal position when your fingers are in there.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Break the bead all way round on one side. Slip a piece of cutting board or wood between the bead and rim to hold the bead away.

Bike
2010 ST1300
First, I suggest you get the T valve stems so you can add air w/o removing the TPMS. And, yes, of course you can do this, tho the difficulty will depend on how stiff your tires are. Others have said everything that needs to be said about this, so I won't carry on any more. Except...

Regarding the title of your thread, tire irons, 2x4's, bead breakers, clamps of all sizes and shapes, even hammers and wrenches are all simple tools. And simple tools don't necessarily make a difficult task easier. Look at those guys who built the pyramids rolling those big blocks on logs. Was that easy? How about the Stonehenge builders? Think they had it easy? The Easter Island masons chiseling out those heads w/ simple tools?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It’s no problem adding air using 83 degree aluminum stems. It’s just like any tire. Unscrew the cap and add air then replace the cap, in this case the cap is the TPMS sensor. Be quick about it and you lose virtually no pressure. If you like 42 then measure with gauge to 42.25 or 42.5 and you get 42. Then ride. You guys worry over .25 psi?

Bike
2010 ST1300
It’s no problem adding air using 83 degree aluminum stems. It’s just like any tire. Unscrew the cap and add air then replace the cap, in this case the cap is the TPMS sensor. Be quick about it and you lose virtually no pressure. If you like 42 then measure with gauge to 42.25 or 42.5 and you get 42. Then ride. You guys worry over .25 psi?
No, I don't, but with the Fobo TPMS I had to re sync the cap (sensor) with my iPhone if I took the sensor off the valve stem. No big deal, but a pita if I was just adding a little air with my bicycle pump. This did not happen every time, but often enough that I changed to the T stem asap.

OP
OP
Dave Pitman
Bike
2010 ST1300A
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I gave the rear a try and decided to wait and do it properly. Using clamps and blocks to protect the sidewall would probably eventually have worked but I didn't want to risk the tire (or rim if something slipped) for this non-emergency procedure. The tires are Angel GTs and they are pretty darn stiff. No riding here right now anyway. It's just a little bit of an anoyance that the nearest bike shop is an hour away.

I've picked up some TPMS caps. I have rubber valve stems and the tires are fairly new so it will be awhile before the next set. Do you guys think it is plausible to use a bar clamp to compress the tire away from one side of the rim enough to replace the stem with aluminum copies and then re-seat the tire, with the help of a ratchet strap around the tire if necessary?

Thanks,
Dave
Yes it is possible, I've done it with the wheel still in the bike. I think your biggest problem will be breaking the bead, it depends how long the tyres have been on and how set they are. You will probably have to take them out just to do that. Break the bead on one side only, hold the tyre across against the other side wall with a G clamp or two and you will find the valve is quite accessible. One tip here is to thread a piece of wire through the valve before you cut the valve so the domed inner bit of rubber doesn't fall into the tyre. Re inflation should be no problem, the bead will want to go back to the rim. New tyres are more likely to give problems here. The pair of biggish G clamps would probably be the best chance on the bead breaking, I used a hand held bead breaker that I made in my racing days and, the tyres had only been on a few days! I do think you'll finish up taking the wheels out, you can squeeze the bead off, relatively easy in a big vise. Good luck! Swede.

STOC #
Wasn't too difficult off the bike. Thanks again, guys !

valve.jpg
What size is the hole for the stem? I noticed my front is starting to crack a little so want to replace it this weekend but my shop is an hour away from where i live and ill ride the bike there so need the right size stems when i get there.

OP
OP
Dave Pitman
Bike
2010 ST1300A
What size is the hole for the stem? I noticed my front is starting to crack a little so want to replace it this weekend but my shop is an hour away from where i live and ill ride the bike there so need the right size stems when i get there.
I think you need 11.3 mm stems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom