Replaced OEM leaking fork seal with All-Balls seals.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I just installed a set of the All Balls fork seals. My right fork was leaking quite a bit, and the left was dry, but I went ahead and changed the oil in both, and installed the All Balls seals. This is my first time with this brand, I'm curious to see how long they'll last. They fit fine, but I was a little surprised to see the very different (from OEM) dust seal. Instead of having the tall rise up the fork leg, the All Balls dust seal is flat on top, and looks similar to the top of the oil seal. I don't care, as long as they seal things well and last at least 15,000 miles. (next fork oil change) I'm trying Maxxima 10W fork oil. I usually use Bel-Ray but I had two liters of the Maxxima left over from another project.
I used a shop vac plastic pipe as a fork seal driver, and it fit and worked perfectly. I also noted that whoever had the forks apart last had installed the left hand spring upside down.
All in all the ST fork seal change was very simple and straightforward. Once you have the fender, calipers and wheel off, the whole job takes about an hour. An impact wrench comes in handy to remove the top cap. Loosen it before loosening the triple clamp pinch bolts. And make sure you get all the old oil out... takes a fair bit of pumping on the damper rod to get all the old fluid out.

Garry

I too used the All Balls seals and so far my forks are not leaking. Others have a year or more on these seals. So how does your bike ride now with fresh oil compared to the old? Enjoy

Gary

Might I suggest loosening the top triple clamp pinch bolts, leave bottom ones tight, when you remove the top caps. Shouldn't ever need an impact wrench....

I just installed a set of the All Balls fork seals. !!!SNIP!!!
Garry

I just installed the All Balls on my '05. I couldn't get the All Balls dust seal to seat properly and stay in place. I could get it down with a PVC union that fit perfectly, but it took driving it like the seal. Then I could watch it gradually push back out. I finally just put the OEM dust seal in and it only took my fingers. Must have been the wrong dust seal or something.

Here's to a long fork seal life with All Balls.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom