Replacement ECU w/HISS

Has anyone on this site borrowed an ECU with hiss, if so do you have to swap the ignition with the hiss ring or can you just replace the ECU and swap the key chip from a comparable key

Thanks Rob

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe that you just replace the ecu and use the chip. Remove the chip from your own key and put it into the ignition slot. Lay the handle of the borrowed key alongside your handle (blade pointing up), and turn on the ignition. Turn the red stop switch to run, a d you should hear the fuel pump whirr. The engine will start and it will continue to run without the borrowed key anywhere near the ignition slot - until you turn off the ignition, or turn off the kill switch.

I know this 'cos I broke my key, and for a while I used the fob by itself with my pannier key - which had no chip. If the engine stalls, you have to start it immediately. After a short delay, it will need the fob with the chip.

What I understand is that the ECU and the key are matched. If you get a second hand ECU, you must get at least one key that works with it. You can buy extra new keys and program them to work, but you must have one that works to start with. How you would know whether the key you are given with a second hand ECU is matched, I do not know. You'd have to take their word for it.

Once a key has been registered with one ECU it cannot be registered with another ECU, but it can be reprogrammed with the same ecu. If you add a new key to your collection, you use one that starts the bike, and then program ALL of them. If you miss one out, it will no longer work.

I have read that there are companies that can sprinkle oofle dust and get around this issue. But I wouldn't know about such wizadry.

The antenna ring around the ignition is the same component for all HISS models. It allows the key and ecu to talk to each other in some strange cryptically coded messages:

Hey is that you
Yes it is me
The swallows are flying south for the winter
Yes, africa I believe
With a coconut shell strung between them
No they're too heavy
Unless they're south african swallows
Ok, I'll start the engine.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
The swallows are flying south for the winter
Yes, africa I believe
With a coconut shell strung between them
No they're too heavy
Unless they're south african swallows
Gratuitous Monty Python reference. LOVE it!

Thanks for the smile!

Just the ECU and the key are enough, no need to change the hiss, I did it on mine due to error code 26

Top Bottom