Replacement thermostat ??? other than OEM

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
This may have been covered.
Is there a replacement Thermostat that is better than the one from mother Honda, as it seems to be the one that sticks?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Turbo Tom had one , but I believe it was discontinued... OEM is it. Search was done but, oem was all that was found to fit

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Turbo Tom had one , but I believe it was discontinued... OEM is it. Search was done but, oem was all that was found to fit
I was afraid of that. I noticed today, my second or 3rd short ride that my thermostat is sticking because it is only running 1 or 2 bars at 55 degrees or below. I have not had the plastic off during my first year of ownership. I do have a shop manual. My bike is an 05 with 39,600 on it now (31,000 when I bought it) and I think I will replace the hoses while replacing the thermostat. Do you think I should replace the W P as well while it is down?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
05s were in that group of bikes prior to 2008 that had incidences of t-stat failures. The Honda replacements are not prone to failure.

If it was me I would just replace the t-stat and associated o-ring and move on with life. The bike is just getting broken in at 40K.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
and I think I will replace the hoses while replacing the thermostat. Do you think I should replace the W P as well while it is down?
The Stat and Oring ( make sure you get one )and a gallon of Honda/Prestone Extended life/any antifrze without silicates is all... add about 1 hr and all done.

The thermostat replace is a fairly simple job.. the front cowels come off, the radiator ( held by 2 bolts,wire clips on fans ( first drain fluid form bottom hose)), the rear support bracket ( 2 bolts) and there it is. 2 bolts remove the cover, clean all , put in new o-ring and stat (stat weep hole on top ) , put all together.
While there check the hose clamps to the stat housing and tighten if needed. (( clean out side overflow bottle if want to do 100% )).

I wonldn't do hoses and esp wouldn't do w pump as failure rates are low

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
He that sounds easy, you must have one of those "Easy Buttons" I thank you for the pointers on the "how to".

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
New Enough (now Motorcyclegear.com) doesn't show them on their web site any more. My understanding was that Turbo Tom had these made to order, prior to turning it over to New Enough; they've probably just sold the last of them and didn't feel it was worth having more made.

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
The Stat and Oring ( make sure you get one )and a gallon of Honda/Prestone Extended life/any antifrze without silicates is all... add about 1 hr and all done.

The thermostat replace is a fairly simple job.. the front cowels come off, the radiator ( held by 2 bolts,wire clips on fans ( first drain fluid form bottom hose)), the rear support bracket ( 2 bolts) and there it is. 2 bolts remove the cover, clean all , put in new o-ring and stat (stat weep hole on top ) , put all together.
While there check the hose clamps to the stat housing and tighten if needed. (( clean out side overflow bottle if want to do 100% )).

I wonldn't do hoses and esp wouldn't do w pump as failure rates are low
According to the shop manual you have to remove the throttle body to replace the thermostat... is this true. You discription of the process does not mention that, so i understand from you that does not have to happen.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
According to the shop manual you have to remove the throttle body to replace the thermostat... is this true. You discription of the process does not mention that, so i understand from you that does not have to happen.
It is easier to remove the radiator and come at the t-stat housing from the front. This is one time the SM takes the long way.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can send you a step by step description of this procedure in a PDF file. PM me your email address.

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
It is easier to remove the radiator and come at the t-stat housing from the front. This is one time the SM takes the long way.
I understand...Perhaps the S M helps the STealers charge more by taking the long way...Thanky you again for your input!!

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Perhaps the S M helps the STealers charge more by taking the long way.
Like many car dealers... I wouldn't doubt that the mechanics get paid by the book hour job ( like bmw dealer here where daughters bf works ), if he can do the job quicker, he pockets the book time pay...sort of overtime and 'get the job done quickly' all in one

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like many car dealers... I wouldn't doubt that the mechanics get paid by the book hour job ( like bmw dealer here where daughters bf works ), if he can do the job quicker, he pockets the book time pay...sort of overtime and 'get the job done quickly' all in one
And when the job takes longer to unforeseen problems or the machine is brought back with unhappy owner the tech does that rework for free.

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
HELP NEEDED I have replaced the thermostat and O ring.... The issue I have now is I goofed. I removed the bracket (2 bolts) in front of the thermostat housing so I could access it more easly. I did not know these wer engine mount bolts.... The ingine has droped down about 1/2 " on the left side and I cant get the bolt back in. SUGGESTIONS????????/ Please I tried a floor jack on center of the motor but all I did was raise the bike.

OP
OP
seawalker
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
HELP NEEDED I have replaced the thermostat and O ring.... The issue I have now is I goofed. I removed the bracket (2 bolts) in front of the thermostat housing so I could access it more easly. I did not know these wer engine mount bolts.... The ingine has droped down about 1/2 " on the left side and I cant get the bolt back in. SUGGESTIONS????????/ Please I tried a floor jack on center of the motor but all I did was raise the bike.
Well I feel stupid There was a bushing that dropped down and was blocking the bolt hole....I fixed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Well I feel stupid There was a bushing that dropped down and was blocking the bolt hole....I fixed it
Glad to hear it's ok.... when I first read it , I thought no, not a mount... And, hope you put the stat weep hole up! :)

we all make mistakes, First time I did mine I forgot to plug in the fans... don't worry here the guys will only tease you for a year or two.

Top Bottom