Replacement Tires - Michelin / Metzler

I have 12K (7200 M) on my 2003 ST1300 and the tires won't pass Safety inspection here in Canada.

Has anyone had any success with Michelin or Metzler brand tires or are the OEM still the best way to go?

Regards,

Speedy

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
+1 for the original Pilot Roads. I'd like to try the new Pilot Road 2s but Michelin has overpriced them and as a result, I'll try something else. Probably a nice tire though.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I just ordered a set of OEM BT-Fs from SWMototire yesterday. They are the least expensive of the major brands and I've had good experiences with Bridgestone in the past. My bike came with the Dunflops which I didn't like but I haven't yet tried the OEM Bridgestones.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Roads. When this set is worn out, I will be putting on the Pilot Road 2's.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've had the best luck with the OEM 'Stones. If you go this route, make absolutely sure that you get the OEM "F" designation tire on the rear. The generic "U" tire is a POS.
Yup, acutely aware of the difference. SWmototires makes it easy by clearly labeling them as ST1300 OEM "F". I think the BT021 has pretty much replaced the generic BT020 "U" models now anyway. Bridgestone apparently intends to continue manufacturing the BT020 for OEM fitments instead of developing a new BT021 OEM version.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is there an echo in here?

Speedy,

I have run both Michelin Pilot Roads and Metzeler Roadtec Z6's that you ask about. My 1300 came with Bridgestone 020's. Everyone of us is looking for different definitions when it comes to the "best tire". I am not looking to get high mileage out of a 100+ horsepower sport touring mount. Handling and grip are more important to me. My own take is I would not go back to the Bridgestones. Many riders like this tire however for me the front cupped badly and the rear got loose a couple of times and I lost confidence in them. Probably just the way I ride and the pressures I favor. It is a good thing that we have such choices of modern rubber to choose from. I thought the Michelin PR was a better tire than the 020 and then the Metzeler Z6 better yet. When I arrived at the Avon Storms I found the best tire for my bike the way I ride it.

If you tell us what is important to you then you may get better responses.

STOC #
I think I have run 3 or 4 sets of Pilot Roads, very good tires. Now I'm on a set of PR 2's. They seem to be an even better tire, even though more expensive. You will probably see that all tires are going up in price.

Just my $0.02.

Later
Neil S.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I forgot to mention the Avons. These are probably my favorites from a handling, grip and wear point of view 12K rear and at least 15K from the front I predict. The thing with the Avons is that I've come to believe they are overly susceptible to punctures. I hadn't had any flat tires in probably 20 years until I started using the Avons. This goes for both the Storms and the previous generation Azaros. Every flat I've had in recent years has been with the Avons fitted. No flats with Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop or Metzelers.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I forgot to mention the Avons. These are probably my favorites from a handling, grip and wear point of view 12K rear and at least 15K from the front I predict. The thing with the Avons is that I've come to believe they are overly susceptible to punctures. I hadn't had any flat tires in probably 20 years until I started using the Avons. This goes for both the Storms and the previous generation Azaros. Every flat I've had in recent years has been with the Avons fitted. No flats with Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop or Metzelers.
That may be your experience but I doubt there is any meaningful difference in Avon's rubber compounds or construction that contributes to your flats.

One thing Avon does have that no other MC tire offers is their road hazard warranty. Sure, it is for only about the first 25% of tread depth but I had 1 Storm rear replaced after a piece of bone punched a huge hole in it. That saved me about $130.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I liked my oem Bridgestones,11k miles. Front still had plenty of tread, but I went with a set of Metz. I have them on my other bikes and have had really good luck. So far I have no complaints, only 2k miles so far..

Bike
2003 ST1300
I may be the odd man out, but I like the OEM Dunlop Sportmax, as a predictable all weather tire. My previous bike was a Bandit, with Mich. Pilot Sports and that was the best tire imaginable. So I do know what a 5 star tire is, I'll rate the Sportmax at 4 stars. My next tire will be a Conti Road Attack, tho I can't figure why I wouldn't want the PR2, they are likely 5 star tires. Lucky for us, its hard to find a really bad tire, most are very (very) good.

OP
OP
Well, I put the Metzler Z6's on and the jury is still out.

I find that they have lots of grip but I don't ride that hard. For touring I find they are not as stable as the Bstone's and they feel looser (great for a bike you want to fling around, but a bit disconcerting on a NA sporttourer). They also seem a little less stable at +160 km than the OEM's.

They feel like they have less material making contact with the road at any one time.

DeSTy

King of the Bling
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
What pressure are you running in them?, it sounds like they're over-inflated. I run 38/40 in mine and have absolutely no problems with them at all. I've run most of the other tyres and keep coming back to the Z6 for it's predictability, grip and feedback.

Well, I put the Metzler Z6's on and the jury is still out.

I find that they have lots of grip but I don't ride that hard. For touring I find they are not as stable as the Bstone's and they feel looser (great for a bike you want to fling around, but a bit disconcerting on a NA sporttourer). They also seem a little less stable at +160 km than the OEM's.

They feel like they have less material making contact with the road at any one time.

Top Bottom