Report on BT021's....anyone...

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
just looking for reports from people whom have them and have put some miles on them as I haven't read much other then people saying that they like them initially. I'll be going to NC the end of next month and I figure I am probably going to have to replace my OEM dunflops before I go...they will have probably around 8-9K on them at that time. I am anticipating about a 2500 mile trip.

TIA
Dan

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Hi Dan

I only have experience with the front BT21, from the start it was noisy and very slippery until a lengthy warmup. I took it to 8500 miles but I was never happy with the road feel and the last 3000 miles it showed cupping. Because of my weight I run the tires at both ends at 42psi, checked often.

My ST came with the Bridgestone's stock so I never experienced the Dunlops, but from what I've heard any of the other brands will be an improvement for you.

OP
OP
ST Dan

ST Dan

Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
thanks, if i can ask...what do you mean by weight...you and/or your gear? I"m 145lbs, and other then trips I am usually loaded pretty light, i don't keep the top box on unless I will need it.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I put 9500 miles on my 021's and replaced the back tire. The front is still on and has 1000 miles or more before the wear bars are exposed. I found the tires to be much quieter than the Z6's they replaced. The rear was replaced prematurely because I had a trip planned that would have run them to the wear bars before I got back and didn't want to get in a situation I got into with the Z6's. I think they are every bit as good a tire as the original 020's and Z6's. They held in snow, rain, and work very well in the twisties. I have a complete new set in the garage waiting to install when the set I have on are worn out. I run 44-46 pounds in both.

When you guys talk about your miliage you get out of a tire are you talking about when it is completly bald or at the min. for inspection . Here in Pa. a tire will not pass inspection when it hits 2/32 of a inch. Mine are just past ther now with 8000 miles. Just bought the BT021s today and will mount them in a couple of weeks.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've got about 1,000 miles on a set of BT021's. They have qualities I like and dislike.

The 021's have plenty of stick. One particular right hander had me grinding my peg with grip remaining. At the next stop you could see wear clean to the shoulder. Zero chicken strip.

021's are blissfully quiet compared to the Pilot Roads. With no earplugs in, instead of tire whine now I can hear motor noises, including the clatter of the clutch basket.

They are not nearly as twitchy as the 020's, but still more lively than the Pilot Roads. Every little input (whether it's from your hands on the bars, your knees in the tank, your feet on the pegs, the wind, air wash from vehicles in front, etc.) gets transmitted to the road. If you like the feeling of flickability, you'll like them. In contrast, the PRs require a bit more effort but it's easier to control. I prefer that.

I did two stretches (better than 200 miles) in rain and can tell you the Pilot Roads are way better in the wet than the 021's. No contest.

If PR2's are available when I next need tires, that's where I'll be putting my $.

OP
OP
ST Dan

ST Dan

Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
Bones, what kind of mileage where you getting out of the PRs?

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
I am really trying to decide which tires I want to go with.

Mileage, quietness are my main wants. Does anyone think Metz 880's would be good?

STOC #
I am really trying to decide which tires I want to go with.

Mileage, quietness are my main wants. Does anyone think Metz 880's would be good?
You'll get mileage but I've heard that your ST will start sounding like a Kenworth because they are basically a truck tire. :)

Seriously, I reworked a friend's Connie who had that rear tire and I swear it weighed 80 lbs and the bike turned very hard, like it had a huge flywheel working against it. He did say he had 20k miles on it and it still looked like it was good for another 10k.

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
Wow, didn't think it would be so heavy.

But I do 100 miles a day, so mileage is pretty important.

Too bad about road noise. :(

OP
OP
ST Dan

ST Dan

Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
^ me too...darn work commute....I really should retire!!!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bones, what kind of mileage where you getting out of the PRs?
9k on the first set...they were overdue.

Changed the second set at 7k, but only because I had two long rides upcoming and didn't have time to do a tire change in between. Could have gotten another thousand out of them, easily.

Overall I'd say 8k is what I'm getting from PRs...about the same as OEM 020's, somewhat better than Z6s.

ADDED: I've dropped air pressure in the front 021 to 39 psi. The twitch is greatly reduced. Might shorten the tread life a bit, but the fronts tend to last longer than the rears and I always replace them as a set.

Last edited:
Bones, Do you think not having tread in the center on the back tire makes it not so good in wet weather? I've had them on for a week now. I just haven't had them out in the weather. I was wondering if the theory was the front tire would make a path for the front tire in the rain.:D

STOC #
I ride a ST1100 and removed a set of Dunlops the previous owner had ran under inflated which had cupped up front badly(unknown mileage). He road two up mostly. I put on a set of 020s and have over 11,000 miles on them. I weigh 185 lbs. and ride alone. I run 36psi and 42psi. Looking to replace them because the front is worn just left of center(from left turns), back down rear center. I commute year round, 50 miles a day mostly highway in central VA. I can't get a rear 020 since it is 160/70 so I'll have to switch. I'm considering 021 or Storm. Both are new so doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback yet. I suppose either will perform well for the average rider.

My main concern is avoiding a tire which gives low mileage. In my mind that's under 10,000 miles since I want to avoid the expense of changing tires more than once a year.

I've read some extremely low and high mileages riders get on the same model of tire on the same bike. Inflation, weight and riding style account for this? I don't find that info. in many posts.

I'm coming over to this site after spending time on the ST1100.org site and I find myself reading threads on tires or whatever the product may be not knowing whether the riders input is based on their experience on an 1100 or 1300. On some products it's irrelevant but on others it's critical. I am thinking they are different bikes which won't give an accurate comparison on tires. Can anyone offer some advice on search techniques?

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
I've got 2000 miles on the 021s (F/R). They're much quieter, I no longer get pulled to the right, and they seem to stick better than the 020s. I'll keep you informed about how they wear and perform. Paid $230 for the pair from swmoto.

Doug

OP
OP
ST Dan

ST Dan

Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
Wow, didn't think it would be so heavy.

But I do 100 miles a day, so mileage is pretty important.

Too bad about road noise. :(
The ME880 weights 16 lbs.
The 020 weights 15 lbs.
The Z6 weights 14 lbs.

some tricky SOB must have been behind him with their foot on the scales messing with him!! :D

thanks for the info here guys, I ordered the 021's (from parts411.com for $211 shipped, vs $215 from SW), they will go on the bike in another week or. I'll give them a try and go from there.

Top Bottom