reuse or replace bowl gasket?

I'm currently working on pulling the carb set. in order to clean the pilot jets. the extent of my ambition stops at this one task... my question is- is it practical to reuse the old, or just bit the bullet and change out for new ones?

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's usually best to NOT reuse gaskets, seals or O-rings.
You are placing a bet on 17 year old rubber.
+1 on both of these. I never reuse old gaskets, seals, o-rings, crush washers, etc. It is false economy if you have to redo the job. The only time I would consider a reuse is if new ones are not readily available and I need/want the bike back on the road NOW. Or they are horrendously expensive (e.g. the $65 exhaust seals).

OP
OP
well it's been a few weeks and I'm currently waiting on parts. curiously when I removed the bowl, the gaskets seem to of been glued on to the bowl with what looks to be, gasket cement. none on the carb body. whoever did it was good, there's very little that's not directly in the rabbet that the ome gasket resides in. my question is do others use this approach or is it unnecessary? if needed what type of gasket cement is appropriate ?

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...do other use this approach...
Yep, it aids assembly by holding the gaskets in place while handling...
For exactly the that very reason, I "bond" the valve cover seals into the groove with some classic Pattex Contact Adhesive...

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Yep, it aids assembly by holding the gaskets in place while handling...
For exactly the that very reason, I "bond" the valve cover seals into the groove with some classic Pattex Contact Adhesive...
Good suggestion. I occasionally encounter gaskets and flexible seals that simply will not stay in place. When they also go into assemblies that I cannot see well enough to verify, I will stick one side on with an adhesive rather than risk installing one twisted or out of place. Otherwise, no.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Otherwise, no.
Correct...
And a smear of marine grease will keep paper gaskets in place, which also prevents them from sticking when one needs to remove the part again years later... clutch cover, slave cylinder, etc...

Top Bottom