Ride-On Tire Protection System

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have Ride on in my ST1300 as we speak. I've used the product since the 70's with no issues at all.
I detest wheel weights and the fact that heavy rides like the GL1500 and 1800 seem to suffer cupping quickly (we don't balance and rotate usually!)
With Ride on (or any goo) you've got a dynamic balancing situation that really does work.
The problem as previously mentioned is that wheel corrosion does happen with other kinds of goo.

If you're running inner tubes as I do on my antique bikes, Ride on can be used in the tube.
And there are inner tubes available already loaded with a sealant.
When you go to change tires, warn your mechanic if you don't change yourself, as the Ride on (or other goo) is a bit messy inside the wheel.

Lately I've become enamored with Balancing Beads. These are tiny glass beads that are loose in the tire and do a wonderful job of balancing.
Of course, they do nothing to seal a hole in the tire. In that case the small compressor and plug kit might be the answer to get home.
I carry those as well as the Stop and Go kit.

There is an entire world of tire patch and plug kits and as ya'll probably know, motorcycle dealers won't patch a bike tire.
Sometime go to youtube and enter motorcycle tire repair and watch the magic happen!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used sealant of some sort in my tyres to good effect. Except on one occasion I got a long slit from a sahrp Stanley Knife Blade Like a strong razor blade). It wouldn't seal that.

I have had corrosion. I never put my own tyres on, I always take the wheel to the dealers - they used to do it for free if I bought the tyre from them. They would put the sealant in - I don't know what make that was. Eventually, the tyre wouldn't seal on the rim - due to corrosion. They cleaned it up and coated the inside with some paint-on substance that sticks well to the aluminimum, and has provided a good seal since.

They no longer put sealant into tyres because of the corrosion issue, so I have been putting Slime in myself. It has worked well for me, and I have had no further corrosion issues - but then - the inside has already been coated and I rarely get to see the inside of the rims. Put it this way. The tyre seates on the rim with no leaks and I haven't had tyre that deflates for many years.

I find it difficult to purchase these days - not many places stock it. I hadn't come across Ride-On.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
This thread convinced me to try the RideOn on my next set of tires...
Does anybody knows how many once are needed for the front and back tires on ST1300?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This thread convinced me to try the RideOn on my next set of tires...
Does anybody knows how many once are needed for the front and back tires on ST1300?
You will need (3) bottles, one in the front tire, and two in the back. (approx)
The ride on will have a chart attached to the package showing the amount.
Read the fine print, if you use it for balancing, I believe you add 10% more.
Why wait for your next set of tires? Just remove the valve cores, squeeze it in, then replace them, its that easy.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Why wait for your next set of tires? Just remove the valve cores, squeeze it in, then replace them, its that easy.
I need another set of tires anyway and I am thinking of installing and balancing them by myself using RideOn.
That would be a real feeling of freedom, installers are sometime a real tyranny!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
They were being offered as an alternative to run flats but due to my limited knowledge of the product and not wishing to be stuck on an "intelligent" UK motorway with no spare at hand, I stuck with the RF's.
I'm similar minded...
One new car (Toyota Avensis) came with a doughnut as "spare"... doing long business travels back then the [maximum 80kph/100km distance] warning-label was a no-go for me...
Same applies for literally most of those temp fixes, all MFG urge above limitations when using their stuff... limp to the nearest service place, but don't finish your tour with them...
OTOH did I make it home from south UK with a "tire spray" in my ST's rear after picking up a drywall-screw... not recommended as the penetrating object could have broken a vital carcass thread/wire, bearing the risk of a blow (or at least deformation) at m/way speeds... things you tend to hide away in the back of your head tough...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You will need (3) bottles, one in the front tire, and two in the back. (approx)
Interestingly will >90% of the punctures occur on the rear tire... the piercing object is picket up by the front threads and thrown into the path of the rear... bam!

Top Bottom