Riding with one cooling fan, is passible?

Bike
04' ST1300
Riding with one cooling fan, is possible?

Today I riding my ST1300 in Heavy City traffic,

I notice that my left cooling fan is not operating. (right one is acting well)

so I cencern about this over-heat, but Temp gause shows still 3 bar, so I riding to my work.

I ordered left fan, It may be arrive in 5 days later.

I have to riding my ST to going work, No choice.

is the possible to riding with a one cooling fan?

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would check he fuses and connections before I purchased a new unit...

Byron

STOC #
The cooling system/radiator is pretty good on the ST1300. As long as you don't see the temp going above 3 bars you should be good until you either get it sorted or new parts arrive.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would check he fuses and connections before I purchased a new unit...
I agree with checking the fan assembly out before ordering a new one. I don't think there is a separate fuse for each fan or even a fuse for the fans at all but there could be a dirty connector where the fan assembly plugs into the larger wiring harness.

I've had to replace both green ground wires to my fans but the symptoms were completely different. When my grounds developed problems the headlight high beams would come on when the fans came on even if the thumb switch was on low beam.

As long as you are moving the bike should remain at normal operating temperature but I'd monitor the gauge closely when moving slowly or stopped.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Fan motors have one relay and one fuse. G. F if it's a non ABS.
If you're stuck in traffic just keep an eye on the gage.
Looks like you don't get over 80F 27C between now and the new fan motor.
I kinda doubt you'll get beyond 3 bars on the gage.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The cooling system/radiator is pretty good on the ST1300. As long as you don't see the temp going above 3 bars you should be good until you either get it sorted or new parts arrive.
+1. The radiator in this bike is big enough. Mine will idle forever on a hot day and not show more than three bars; so see more than that, you have to disable the fans and it will eventually hit four. If you have only one fan, you're probably just fine.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
04' ST1300
Thanks to replys.

In My case, My left fan center plate see crack so center axle spin but my fan is not spin.
so.. I bought a new fan.

on 2 days I riding with city very heavy traffic almost 6 hours, Heat bar not changed. (3 bar stay.)

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Wondering if I can jump in & ask a related question please ? '07 St1300, like all above....runs @ 3 bars. has 72,000 miles. My question: My fans run often and LONG. Can be 75 out or 93 and they run and run and run. Since The bars stay at 3.... haven't been too concerned, but that is my question.... should I be ? Side note: During my long trip just completed, I did see the x-tra resevoir was empty, so I added enough antifreeze to fill it. Over the next 3 evenings I checked it and the level was just down about 1".

THANKS,

Gilly (Dave)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Mine don't run too long when I'm stopped, and I have no idea if they run at all while I'm moving.

You might want to pull the fan relay and test it out. Apply 12V to the coil for a minute or so and make sure it kicks back out when you remove the power. Sometimes relays get sticky as they age.

Edit to add: Give your reservoir a few cycles to settle. If the coolant level was low and the engine needs to suck a bunch in, it'll keep doing that every time it cools. You might want to pull the right middle cowl, top the radiator off, burp the system and then bring the reservoir up to the right level.

--Mark

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Wondering if I can jump in & ask a related question please ? '07 St1300, like all above....runs @ 3 bars. has 72,000 miles. My question: My fans run often and LONG. Can be 75 out or 93 and they run and run and run. Since The bars stay at 3.... haven't been too concerned, but that is my question.... should I be ? Side note: During my long trip just completed, I did see the x-tra resevoir was empty, so I added enough antifreeze to fill it. Over the next 3 evenings I checked it and the level was just down about 1".

THANKS,

Gilly (Dave)
Have you seen any seepage of anti-freeze ?

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
THANKS for the tips :)
Mine don't run too long when I'm stopped, and I have no idea if they run at all while I'm moving.

You might want to pull the fan relay and test it out. Apply 12V to the coil for a minute or so and make sure it kicks back out when you remove the power. Sometimes relays get sticky as they age.

Edit to add: Give your reservoir a few cycles to settle. If the coolant level was low and the engine needs to suck a bunch in, it'll keep doing that every time it cools. You might want to pull the right middle cowl, top the radiator off, burp the system and then bring the reservoir up to the right level.

--Mark

Top Bottom