Right side cam chain tensioner

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Ok. I bought my hot cams and 1 and 3 are done. It was not that bad but....... I'm on the 2 , 4 valve side and need to release the tension on the chain. The manual says to pull the throttle body, but on here people can do it by removing the air box and rubber mat.. I have attached a picture to make sure I have the correct one... have a look and confirm it is the one. The tip of my JIS will be on the head. I can see why the Steelers want so much for this job

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes - that's it. You'll need a socket with a very tight fit - or a strong magnet otherwise you will lose the nut. The aluminium washer will undoubtedly fall off, so be ready with a spare when you put it back - or the bolt will leak oil. I fashioned my own tensioner release driver from a car radio release key, jammed it into a socket and used an extra long extension bar - with tape to prevent the socket falling off into the Vee. I kept it there for the duration of the adjustments.

The carb inlets are covered with a clear glass repair tape.

valvetensiontool.jpgvalvetensioner1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I got the bolt out and the washer stayed on the bolt..... Hurray ... I dipped my taped socket in heavy grease which must have caught the edge of the washer.. I done the shims on the right side and ran out of 1 x 1.60 and 1 x 1.85 shim. I have to round up a couple tomorrow hopefully. The local deal only sell the packs of 5 which he has to order. I wanted to ask if they would sell me the 2 I needed but I didn't.. There are other dealers Kaw Suz and Yam that may help out.. If not I'll have extra shims for next time which isn't a bad thing.. 7.48 is used in many other manufacturers. I had a 2 foot long small flat screwdriver that i ground down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I went to the local Suz / Yam dealer and he was more than willing to swap shims... All done. That bolt that was hard to find was just as hard putting back in... Grease worked great. Now I have to roll the engine many times and write down the gap....... Bring on summer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Will changing valve shims effect the throttle body syn. I have mercury sticks since the 90s and like using them.

Any thoughts

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I would think so, but minimally. This is just because the potential change in the opening of the valves and therefore a tad difference vacuum crated. I would do a sync.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
The manual says to buy 8 bolts and the copper washers that are around the insides of the lobes, so I bought the bolts but not the washers. The hardest part of doing valve shims is starting it for the 1st time. I checked, double checked every bolt and fastener before starting Ol'silver. I done a syn of the throttle body ( I know it's not called that, but I have done a carb syn on my 81 cb750c for 25 years so it's the same). She fired right up, The syn was out a bit but not that bad. I love having the vacuum hoses out front..... I only have 1 black cable tie left over..... There was only 1 on the right side, right above the valve cover and 2 on the left side, 1 above the valve cover and the other on the wire on the wing frame leading to a sensor above the clutch..

Where have I missed the other. Does anyone have an idea. It might be under the airbox in front... Is there one in there?

I looked at the manual but could not find and reference to positioning of the ties.

100,061km since May 20, 2007 and I put every KM on the bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Found it page 1-34 upper rad hose

Last edited:
Top Bottom