Right side front caliper leaking

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Recently changed brake pads and now I notice a bunch of brake fluid all over the right front caliper. I just noticed it while on lunch break at work so I haven't been able to read up on possible causes. Looking for some advice on what to check. I will mention this- I was stopped on a hill a few days ago and had my foot on the brake for like 15 seconds, then it felt like the pedal might have dropped a little all of a sudden. Thanks

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
If you didn't clean the pistons good enough before you pushed them in it could of pushed some dirt in and is holding the seal back or cut the seal.

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Could that be a good size leak? I have fluid all over my lower fairing as well as the caliber, front rim etc. I see a caliper rebuild kit on ebay, is this what I would need assuming I damaged the seal? I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and can't afford much downtime, I appreciate your help.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Recently changed brake pads and now I notice a bunch of brake fluid all over the right front caliper. I just noticed it while on lunch break at work so I haven't been able to read up on possible causes. Looking for some advice on what to check. I will mention this- I was stopped on a hill a few days ago and had my foot on the brake for like 15 seconds, then it felt like the pedal might have dropped a little all of a sudden. Thanks
It could be residual brake fluid that was left inside the bleeder after you bled them.
I slowly insert pipe cleaners inside the nipples after I bleed them, to wick out the left over brake fluid.
I've found if you don't do this, that about 1/4 inch of fluid can leak out under the rubber caps and get all over everything.
Another cause could be a loose bleeder valve that you didn't tighten enough. Sounds like peddle dropped alittle which
would indicated that you forced (bled) fluid out from either the fitting threads or the bleeder itself.
Hope this helps.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
He never said he blead them. With that much fluid I'd think it was a seal.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Might even be a fork seal and coincidental timing...

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Correct, I did NOT bleed. How hard of a job is replacing these seals? Any chance I can just clean them for a quick fix while I wait on new seals to be delivered?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Correct, I did NOT bleed. How hard of a job is replacing these seals? Any chance I can just clean them for a quick fix while I wait on new seals to be delivered?
How long did you go before the pad change?

Did you clean the pistons at all? If not, there's probably 'stuff' on the pistons that is preventing a good seal, it may not be the seals at all...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
He never said he blead them. With that much fluid I'd think it was a seal.
Good point :think1:
He may have pushed dirt into the seals damaging them or keeping them from sealing...however....
Does the bike have ABS? He may have damaged something removing the caliper causing the ABS to leak also.
I've ssen a couple folks with the ABS uniting leaking enough to blow back on the body work.

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I replaced the pads like 2 weeks ago. I'm not the most observant guy, so it could have been leaking that long or not. The bike is NON-ABS. Can I clean the pistons and seals by just removing the caliper again, or do I have to actually disasemble the caliper?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You SHOULD always bleed your brakes when you replace the pads. At the very least, bleed off some of the fluid when you PUSH the pistons back in, or you could damage the seals as said before, or push too much fluid up into the mastercylinder damaging the diaphram, or blowing fluid out the vent holes onto your beautiful painted tank :scared2:
Since your dealing with BRAKE FLUID, I'd check out one of Mellows articals on cleaning the calipers completely.
You don't want to try and do a quick job and end up with fluid all over your painted parts. If you have not already figured it out, brake fluid will eat your paint in nothing flat! And damage the plastic as well.
I always keep a 2 liter water bottle with a sports cap on it, full of soapy water on the bench whenever I'm working with brake fluid. Its saved many a day.

***Search for Thood's Album photos-Front ABS Brake Leak***
You may have a fork seal leaking. Does yours look like his?
You should be able to tell if you have oil or brake fluid on your parts.
Hope its just a fork seal as they are pretty common on these bikes.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You can probably pull the caliper from the bike - then put a board maybe 1/2 the thickness of the rotar betwen the pads and touch the front brake.. would push the pistons out enough clean them with brake fluid. You only need them to come out far enough to cover what the old pads lacked in thickness. That's what I'd do first as it's pretty easy, just don't let them come out too far - they shouldn't w/both pads in place and 1/2 the thickness of the rotar.

Once they come out that much, remove both pads and clean the pistons real good.

IMO - you don't always have to bleed your brakes when you change pads but it's not a bad idea. If you're somewhere and you just need pads, you do what ya gotta do.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It's a tough one when we can't see it. Has your brake fluid gone down in the site glass?

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
OK, just went outside and had a co-worker squeeze the lever after I wiped everything off real good. Definitely coming from the caliper and not any lines or fork seal. I will first try Mellow's technique as its the easiest. If that doesn't work I will have to remove the pistons and inspect/replace the seals. Think I will call to see if the local shop has replacement seals. That will take the pressure off having alot of downtime. We are suppose to be in the high 70's here next week and I was planning a couple vacation days to bang out some miles. The thought of missing that is killing me.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Well on the upside, its not your fork seals or ABS unit :shrug2:
As Mellow said, its really easy to remove the pads and clean the pistons first.
Use a toothbrush and some clean brake fluid. DO NOT use spray can Brake Cleaner!
This is for the rotors and should be kept away from the seals to keep from damaging them.
I have some Delrin or Aluminum blocks machined to the thickness of the rotor, and half the rotor
for the purposes that Mellow stated. Its worth making some.
Most shops in my area don't stock ANYTHING anymore! They have to order just about everything.
I believe they do this so it becomes a special order, and non-refundable (read fine print of reciept)
or an inventory issue (less stuff to inventory).
I've always had good luck and fast service from RONAYERS.COM
The seal sets are pretty cheap, and simple enough to replace them.
Good luck, glad you found the problem before you were out on the road somewhere.
Problems are always better found at home than on the road.
Ride safe

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just thought of this... if you have the old pads... put them back in and install on the bike... then, the pistions will be extended as far as they were and a little easier to clean.

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Only saved one pad, because one pad was noticeably worse than the other 3. I figured if this ever happened again I could just replace one pad to buy myself some time to get new pads online versus buying from the stealer. I have a call in to the local parts dept, he is going to call me back with price and availability on 3 seal sets. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

OP
OP
kendoo
Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Might even be a fork seal and coincidental timing...
Joe, you sir hit the nail on the head. It is in fact my right fork seal. There was so much fork oil on the brake caliper that you could see it ooze from a seam when I applied the brakes, making it appear like a leaky caliper. Time to read up on replacing for seals. Thanks again for the help.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad you found the source. Hope the film thing works, I've never tried it myself.

Top Bottom