Rostra Cruise Control

I have purchased a Rostra unit and am working on installing it on my 1991 ST1100. The primary issue is going to be how to connect to the throttle. I have determined it is not possible to loop the small cable with the loop end provided over the little nubbin (or whatever it is called) at the end of the manual throttle cable. I have seen some posts, but I think older ones are gone. Any suggestions on how to do this. Hopefully I do not have to remove the carburetors or fuel tank and I do not have a machine shop; just patience and home mechanic tools. But if someone has come up with a clever solution (and pictures?) I would greatly appreciate it.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have seen a few different methods. First is a bar screwed to the side of the wheel as a lever. MCCruise sells an interface device that mounts to the wheel.

I installed a Rostra on my '96 Nighthawk 750, but haven't yet on my '01 ST1100. I'll most likely go with the MCCruise interface when I do. (can afford it)

OP
OP
Larry, your reply triggered an idea. I think I will try to epoxy a bar to the wheel. A good epoxy should be strong enough and it eliminates having to disassemble a lot of stuff. Might take me a few days/weeks to find time to work it all out. thanks. Frank

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Larry, your reply triggered an idea. I think I will try to epoxy a bar to the wheel. A good epoxy should be strong enough and it eliminates having to disassemble a lot of stuff. Might take me a few days/weeks to find time to work it all out. thanks. Frank
Even if you don't use screws, a couple of holes drilled in both the bar and the wheel would give the epoxy greater hold.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I looked at the MCcruise jumper interface, it isn't compatible with the Rostra as the Rostra requires 41mm of travel and the Mc uses 31.
I read where a person dremelled a groove in the lead end piece so the loop could fit in the bellcrank with the cable. Currently I have a screw in the bell crank that the cable pulls. It works ok, but I will be putting an arm on it for a smoother operation. The screw connection works fine with the Audiovox set up.

What I have done in the past is asked the dealer to drill and tap the holes on the bell crank. I take off all the Tupperware and arrive at the mechanics with a near empty tank, makes their lives easier and more economical for me

Attachments

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I think I did the Audiovox unit on my '93 while I was doing the Alternator upgrade, so I had the fuel tank and stuff out of the way.

I will be putting a Rostra on my '03, so I'm going to watch this thread!

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Please be patient; these projects sometimes take me a long time.
Frank
The documentation for installing the MCcruise is excellent, and most of it transfers to installing the Rostra. Over the winter I will be transferring my cruise control set-up from the 97 to the 2002. I’m also utilizing a gold wing Gl1500 right hand switch gear. The hardest thing for me was to get the unit to operate smoothly, the arm on the bell crank should improve the operation.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
By the way, I used a TrailTech 8500-RS switch on the Nighthawk. No power switch, and the center button acts as a cancel switch without lighting the brake light.

I also wired the kickstand-down light as a cruise-engaged light through a 50-ohm resistor. It's bright enough to see in the day, dim enough to tolerate at night.

OP
OP
Can anyone provide me a wiring diagram or description for hooking up the Rostra Unit to the Audiovox CCS100 control switch? So far I have not been able to figure out what I have found on line. You might be able to save me some work. Thanks.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Out of the Rostra harness there are 4 colour matched wires that will match the CC1000 control switch. I believe there should be a flat 4 pin connector from Rostra that you have to splice in first. If the switch is lit, there is a two pin connector on the Rostra harness that facilitates that, but you will need to find a matching connector for the switch or make one. Many auto supply stores have a two pin hitachi style connector that you can use instead. I will edit this post later with a photograph from the manual on the wiring
EDIT
Pictured below is the connector that comes with the ACC. The brown wire goes to the RED/BLK. there is a grey wire and also a black wire. The black goes to ground and the grey goes to a switched 12volt source or you can connect the grey and black wire to the plug that comes out of the Rostra harness. (it will be labeled)

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Can anyone provide me a wiring diagram or description for hooking up the Rostra Unit to the Audiovox CCS100 control switch? So far I have not been able to figure out what I have found on line. You might be able to save me some work. Thanks.
I can. Does the controller have the engaged light? How many wires does it have, 4 or 6?

Look on Page 21: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565G.pdf

Top Bottom