RT Issues?

I've been interested in a new (now a 2011) R1200RT. I like the machine a lot but have concerns about two on-going reliability issues: final drive failures and fuel level strips. From what I see on the BMWMOA and BMWsporttouring sites, these are not trivial concerns. One could leave you stranded far, far away from a BMW dealer (who won't have the parts in stock anyway). The other could leave you on the roadside with and empty tank.

Someone there estimates final drive failures at between 1% and 5% and a couple of guys have reported failures of their replacement units! BMW's weird fuel level strip (they don't use a float system - instead it is some kind of resistance-measuring strip inside the gas tank) also is prone to failure and is not a simple DIY job to replace. Propietary electonics needed to calibrate it. No guesses on a failure % for these.

I won't express my opinion on such common failures on a $20,000 motorcycle or BMW's refusal or inability to fix the designs. Instead, I'm asking the resident BMW riders their opinion on the failures. Are they frequent enough to nix the purchase? Apparently lots of folks are not worried about it since RT sales have been brisk. Are they risk-takers or do they just not know the history?

Help! I need a second opinion. And where's that new Honda sport-tourer when I need (OK, want) one?

pete :confused:

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I have a 2010 R1200GS Adventure and I've been very pleased so far. I have a 36 month 36K mile warranty and I'm OK with that. I have the Worlds Best Dealer and They Serve the Best Kool-Aid. That new Twin Cam Motor Rocks!

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT
Pack a spare final drive in the right saddle bag, and the one bolted to the bike will never fail. :)

STOC #
This is an old issue, be rehashed many times here and elsewhere. My 2007 R1200GS has the same final drive as an RT. Hasn't been a problem. I just bought a 2008 RT, which may ultimately become my ST replacement. Yes there are occasional failures. NOTHING is as reliable as an ST1100 (even an ST13000). If the final drive fails after warranty, the repair is hundreds of dollars, not thousands. It doesn't seem to be connected with lack of maintenance, so just follow the schedule and don't worry about it.

The RT is a great bike. About 500lbs dry, handles great. Excellent ride. Engine is ok, plenty of power, but will never match either ST in smoothness. That's the price you pay for 200lbs less weight. Your passenger will like the RT.

Don

Bike
2005 BMW RT
My wife has a 2005 RT. We are on our second cross country trip and have had no problems with either the RT or the ST. Her RT has 30K.

TPadden

Tom Padden
... If the final drive fails after warranty, the repair is hundreds of dollars, not thousands....
Don
Don,

Not quite - if it's just the bearing that fails and you don't damage the final drive it's hundreds (as much as $7-900 if you damage the ABS ring or sensor), if you damage the final drive when the bearing fails, as often is the case, it's thousands, probably around $2K.

Still rather rare ......

Tom

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don,

Not quite - if it's just the bearing that fails and you don't damage the final drive it's hundreds (as much as $7-900 if you damage the ABS ring or sensor), if you damage the final drive, as often is the case, it's thousands, probably around $2K.

Still rather rare ......

Tom
Yes, an RT1200 rider I know had his FD fail at 37,000 miles. BMW did him right and repaired under warranty even though it [warranty] expired at 36,000. He told me it saved him $2,000.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
I met a 04 R1150RT rider in Florida a few months ago. He has had two final drive failures, both long distances from a dealer. He now has a boxed up final drive in his garage so that his neighbor can mail it to him in the event of another failure. He had over 80000 on his RT.

I traded my 04 R1150RT for a ST1300/A, due to lack of reliability, ABS modulator, oli leaks, etc. I traded it just prior to the 36000 mile warranty expiration. My 03 ST1300/A has been bullet proof reliable, except for a mouse problem in the air cleaner.

I still love BMW's, but will not go back until they solve the rear drive issue, plus extend the warranty beyond 36000 miles!:bat1:

Bike
1998 CB750
STOC #
Or buy you a

driven

:bow1:.... :D

Black is beautiful. And you don't have to adjust the valves either!:D:hat1:
If you like the BMW, scratch that itch. I've friends with them, and they have had no problems other than the distance they have to go to get to the nearest dealer..... Panama City to Birmingham AL.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I went through the same dilemma last summer. I had a bullet proof Wing, wanted to lose a bunch of weight. I really wanted a RT. Read through the forums, they certainly didn't help. My buddy, who rides a ST told me. You really want the BMW, buy it, if it doesn't work out get rid of it.

I've put 24,000 miles on my 2009 RT. I love the bike, it's truly one of a kind.

It's not been perfect, I've had two problems, the fuel strip issue you referred to and a fuel pump controller.

The fuel strip is no big deal, I just reset the trip meter at every fill up. Had it fixed under warranty, still reset the trip meter, just in case.

The fuel pump controller stranded me at work. I was pissed, called BMW, they sent a tow truck at their expense, took the bike to the closest dealer for repair. Picked it up a few days later.

If you want one, buy it, you'll love it.

TPadden

Tom Padden
.....and they have had no problems other than the distance they have to go to get to the nearest dealer..... Panama City to Birmingham AL.
.... must be a choice thing, Miller BMW, Tallahassee is less than 1/2 the distance (probably nearer :D).

Bike
1998 CB750
STOC #
.... must be a choice thing, Miller BMW, Tallahassee is less than 1/2 the distance (probably nearer :D).
Sadly, the owner died of cancer last year and Miller has closed. He sold me the cb750. I was getting back into bikes after a long absence, and looking at BMW's. He could have sold me one, but advised me not because of my lack of recent experience. I was given a great deal on the 750, mint condition, less than 7000 miles on it, cleaned carbs, and a full set of new Tourmaster luggage for $2500.00 total. Four months later I rode it to Daytona.

I doubt I'd have had that experience at one of the new hondayamakawazuki motorcycle mega malls. They would have sold me what I was looking at, and then repaired it after I wrecked it due to inexperience. I've seen those places sell 0 time kids liter class sportbikes, the results are almost ineivitable.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I have a 2005 RT, with almost 80k miles. The bike has been well maintained by the dealer, and other the headlight lamps goin out about every 10k miles, the bike has been steadfast reliable. Not one thing has broken or failed to perform.

It arguably the finest handling sport touring bike out there. It leans really well, and tilts over very quick. It has great long distance comfort, with its excellent cockpit, wind mgt, heated grips and seats, and upright seating position. I really enjoy riding it.

And it has the wow factor. Everywhere I ride it or park it, people gather. Civialians are especially enamoured with it. It will never make the power of the 1300, and I don't think it is as reliable, if mine can make it to 100k miles without a issue, then you prolly can't ask for more than that.

I've been interested in a new (now a 2011) R1200RT. I like the machine a lot but have concerns about two on-going reliability issues: final drive failures and fuel level strips. From what I see on the BMWMOA and BMWsporttouring sites, these are not trivial concerns. One could leave you stranded far, far away from a BMW dealer (who won't have the parts in stock anyway). The other could leave you on the roadside with and empty tank.

Someone there estimates final drive failures at between 1% and 5% and a couple of guys have reported failures of their replacement units! BMW's weird fuel level strip (they don't use a float system - instead it is some kind of resistance-measuring strip inside the gas tank) also is prone to failure and is not a simple DIY job to replace. Propietary electonics needed to calibrate it. No guesses on a failure % for these.

I won't express my opinion on such common failures on a $20,000 motorcycle or BMW's refusal or inability to fix the designs. Instead, I'm asking the resident BMW riders their opinion on the failures. Are they frequent enough to nix the purchase? Apparently lots of folks are not worried about it since RT sales have been brisk. Are they risk-takers or do they just not know the history?

Help! I need a second opinion. And where's that new Honda sport-tourer when I need (OK, want) one?

pete :confused:
I own a 2010, and my fuel strips died today. No big deal, it's taken care of through the warranty, and it's not a life or death componant.

The FD failures are greatly exaggerated in my opinion. Yes, it has been an issue over the years, but BMW has made improvements and changes over recent years. This issue has by no means been "epidemic", and if you look into some failure cases, the owners have some interesting/somewhat unique circumstances, such as heavy loads.

Relative to problems and cost. Just because the BMW costs 20k does not mean it comes with a lifetime guarantee of no mechanical problems. You are paying 20k because the bike has cruise, ESA, radio, etc. In other words, it is largely content you are paying for.

I've been around BMW's for years, and from my own experience they have been relatively reliable. I say relatively, because some of the bikes I am thinking of have close to 200k on the clock.

If internet tales of reliability have you spooked, consider buying an extended warranty.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In my relatively small circle of riding friends and acquaintances I personally know 4 guys that had drive train problems. An R1200GS, 2 R1200RTs, and a K1200LT. None of these guys ride 2 up or are heavy but they are high mileage riders. The problems on one RT started at just over 36K, the other RT at 45K, the LT at 109K, and the GS was a FD lemon with 4 or 5 FD or shaft failures in 175K - the first still before the 3 year warranty expired and each successive one failed within the replacement part warranty. Since I don't know that many BMW riders 4 seems excessive to me.

Brand loyalty runs very high despite the problems - 3 of the 4 bought another BMW after these problems and the 4th only has 67k on his RT (FD replaced at 36K) - so if you love the bike(s) you won't worry about it.

DAS

STOC #
Pack a spare final drive in the right saddle bag, and the one bolted to the bike will never fail. :)
Very true . My brother packs a final drive in his right saddle bag because his 99 had a FD failure on 2 separate cross country trips but packing a spare must work because this bike hasn't had a failure.

The distance thing between dealers is problem IMHO. This summer my brother had to decide on Sturgis, Denver, or Missoula. He picked Missoula, ordered the front brake hose, and drove 700 miles with no front brakes. Below is our Missoula "make a memory", installing it (and rebuilding a frayed throttle cable) in the parking lot.

Top Bottom