Boots RTV sealant and boots

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I have slight separation between the rubber sole and the leather at the toe of one boot. Any reason not to use some black RTV to seal it up? Any better alternative? What would a shoe repair place use?

Shoe repair place would use contact adhesive.

Coat both sides and wait till very sticky (5-10min) then press together and clamp till dry (about 24hours).

Shoe Goo

Don't laugh, I have used it on all kinds of things and it sticks better than you think it will.

Plain ole regular yellow contact cement has worked for me quite well a number of times. Follow the instructions on the little brown bottle. DAP Weldwood Contact Cement:

001022.jpg

HTH

John

If you want it to be a bit pliable I'd go with shoe-goo.
Contact cement might stay pliable; but, I'm not sure...
2 part epoxy might not handle a pliable sole so well IMO...

Shoe Goo or Barge Cement should work. (both urethane based)

If you use contact cement follow the directions. There's no opportunity to reposition things.

ShoeGoo or "Goop", a similar product. The stuff is amazing, stays flexible and has hundreds of uses. Shoe repair shops use a kind of contact cement (get the stuff that uses real solvent, not the eco-friendly waterborne stuff) but when the re-sole job failed at the toe of one of my Sidi OnRoads, I didn't want to go that route again, so used ShoeGoo. No probs after three years.

pete

Back
Top Bottom