SAE to USB adapter

Bike
2005 st1300
I always say, "the chinese dont necessarily make junk, They are just willing to offer it at bargain basement prices and the buyers insist on it". Because labour costs are so high here, making parts cheap is not an option. There, they have the option to make everything cheaper and the companies buying their stuff want to maximize profit so they cheap out on materials and even specs/tolerances, possibly. They are capable of quality, but most customers want the low costs they can provide.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
They are capable of quality, but most customers want the low costs they can provide.
+1 In fact if you have a product and want it sold at Walmart it (eventually) has to be manufactured in China. I suppose so that so WM can sell it at the cheapest price.

Everybody remember when Made in Japan was the mark of cheap (and inexpensive) imports to be avoided?

A lot of our imports could be made in the good ol' USofA. We just couldn't afford them. And better quality wouldn't be a given.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Was told by a few folks here that if it is to be used to jump start only, do not fuse it?
As you can tell by my response and most of the other replies here (well, I think all) it should be fused. A two pin SAE connector won't work for a full on jump start. You dump 125 amps through it and I'm pretty sure you'll make the pins permanently connected, aka spot welded. If you have the heavy duty model, made with 10ga leads, a 30 amp fuse would be appropriate.

I made my jump start connector from an Anderson power pole connector set I had laying around. They are a little heavier duty and could handle the load, 8 gauge wire and a hefty fuse have worked so far.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Below is a 10 AWG SAE battery pigtail that I recently installed on my Goldwing. Made in China, but appears to be great quality. Way over-sized for the 15 amp fuse.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I searched for that before I posted, and couldn't find an answer. It does look like there are 2 SAE plugs with different capacities, but I couldn't figure out what those capacities are.

Top Bottom